Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

630 HD PVR - Non Owners and Potential Owners discussion

Tags
630 pre-order
273K views 873 replies 247 participants last post by  smp01 
#1 ·
First let me congratulate you on the release of the PVR, the service is now fully baked. I do have one question though, when we will see AMC and TCM on TELUS TV? They are not exclusives, Rogers, Shaw and I think Starchoice have them, and they would fantastic adds. I'll be signing right after XMAS is out of the way.

#27 ·
The spec sheet for the 630 says:
Video / Audio: HDMI 1.3, Component, Optical (Toslink), Composite RCA + 2xRCA for sound
eSATA port
Ethernet port
USB 2.0 port
320GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive

Disappointed on the small hard drive. I have a 750GB in my 530 now and it is half full as I can never seem to get around to watching everything on it.

At least the rest seems relatively modern (not that I expect anything to ever come of the Ethernet port).

Also not sure if I'm a huge fan of the remote. They've rearranged it a fair bit. Maybe it lines up more with their cable offerings now ....???

#28 ·
As posted elsewhere on this site: I will pre-order as soon as I find out how. This represents progress, and progress is never free!

I think there should be an upgrade credit for existing 530 users, and also think $100 to $200 is a reasonable amount. But don't also forget that 505 users were promised the same Guide improvements that are not being delivered. So a (smaller) upgrade credit should be considered for 505 to 605 upgraders.

In my case, my first 630 will replace a 505, not a 530. I want keep the 530 in place for continuity with all the stuff that works right now - and as a backup/fallback for the new 630. It will be far less disruptive. After a suitable period of success using the 630, I would be prepared to replace the 530 with a second 630. I hope Shaw will consider this option for their upgrade credit program.

#30 ·
the 630 has an QPSK/8PSK/DVB-S2 MPEG-2/4 tunner.
Where did you see the DVB-S2 demodulator referenced? On the spec sheet, the demodulator is listed as 8PSK/QPSK only.

I'm hoping it just isn't listed, but based on past experience, they may not have planned that far ahead. Something tells me that they are offering the rental option so in 18 months or 2 years when they start moving some HD to DVB-S2 and have to again replace receivers, there are fewer upset customers.

#35 ·
Shawdirect In the Dark - Again

How can they say it's the most advanced PVR in Canada. It's no better than Bell's and is far behind Telus with their PVR Anywhere and 3 or 4 channel recording (among other features). A more honest ad would say "We've finally caught up to where our competitors were 3 years ago".

I hope they do the right thing and offer current 530 owners with special upgrade pricing.

#38 ·
Interesting that they are following a suggested convention for code names for s/w releases.
Since MS Windows 95 was internally known as Chicago, thoughts were it might have been cool to use small Alberta towns.

Since the long awaited Airdrie code never materialized, the page 2 of the manual now clearly shows Drumheller.

Does that means it's the 4th spin???

#40 ·
Just look at Rogers saying that they have the Fastest and Most Reliable Speed
Yes, but TELUS sued them and won. They can no longer make that claim.

Caught a story on the news last night about a company with fraud convictions in Alberta. The fines were significant.

Might be time to review your provinces Fair Trading Act if you are a victim of the DVR530 to leverage a new DSR630.

320GB eh? Well isn't technology supposed to double every 18 months according to some equation?
Given the number of years since the anemic 160GB showed in 530's, I figure they ought be to 750GB to 1 TB by now.

#50 ·
Does anybody know what company provides the enhanced guide data?
The "new" descriptor will probably be accurate for network programs and for the popular cable channels, but may not be for the less popular digital nets (not they ever air new programs anyway).

The pre orders should be starting next week. I will be taking my chances and ordering one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.