Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.1b.17

93K views 420 replies 83 participants last post by  downbeat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This will be the place to post comments and questions for anyone who has received the latest code update starting today. I'm still waiting for it but at least the reports are coming in that it has begun showing up.

See Post #18 in this thread for change list and Software numbers.

=====

OTHER USEFUL THREADS

Fixes & issues
If you're having a problem with the Shaw Gateway, please see if it has already been reported before posting. (This is a running list. Not a discussion thread.)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1324303

Adding external drives
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=142528

Wait times for Gateway support
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145274

Installation and setup
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145834

Programming universal Harmony remote for use with Gateway
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1331570

Historical thread for the Gateway with original firmware
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=130143
This thread is now closed but it contains some issues/info that are still pertinent today. Worth taking the time to review.

Historical thread (after Fall 2011 iS2 code firmware update)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145709

See less See more
#214 ·
Jetranger, you are undoubtedly right about my lack of issues due to my lack of use. ;)

However, some of what people are describing certainly could be due to an overloaded processor dropping near-simultaneously-scheduled events from a queue, otherwise losing track of some tasks or just a system crash. It's a thought.

So, Jetranger, both you and stanl both have fairly complicated systems and he has fewer problems than you. So we can conclude that a complicated system is, by itself, no guarantee of problems.

Are there any folks out there reporting problems who have only a simple setup? In other words, is a simple setup a guarantee of no problems?

#215 ·
Excellent question, Kritiker. It would be very interesting to take a poll of how many 'one Portal' system are 'trouble free' or 'experiencing problems' along with whether or not an expander or other external drive is used.

Let's hope we can get some members with 'simple' systems that will post here.

#218 ·
I apologize if this glitch has been reported before. I go to watch recorded show and when hit play, not there, but rather another show in its place with the time bar on the bottom indicating we are 30 minutes into the recording, but cannot rewind.
I looked in my diagnostics and have the following version listed:
7.0.1b.17x5r-P.348041 Is this the latest. Thanks

#223 ·
I looked in my diagnostics and have the following version listed:
7.0.1b.17x5r-P.348041 Is this the latest...
Please see the instruction in the title of this thread.

The 'bug' you mention sounds interesting. Thanks for the report.

#222 ·
I have a Gateway and 4 portals, no expander. On average, I am at about 40-50% of memory capacity. I've been using this system since Feb 3. It's been buggy from the start and I almost told Shaw to come and take it out. The DST update was another example of annoying problems but only after nagging Shaw did that get fixed. It has been temperamental to say the least since early March. I had no idea the system had been updated until Digital Forum sent me an e-mail for this thread. I checked and the latest update was just done to my system. I will monitor things to see if this settles things down.

#224 ·
My Gateway now complains I have "Disk space issues" when I, for example, go to record a one time show/movie. Say it starts between 6-8 PM tonight. It says that it wont record 3 shows within that same time frame.....and several others scheduled days later?

It's a 1-2 hour recording, scheduled to record once. What does tomorrows recordings have to do with anything?

edit: reworded.

#225 ·
We've had this issue for a while now. It seems the Gateway 'looks into the future' to let you know there may be 'issues' with future recordings if you haven't made space before then. It's really kind of a waste but I just ignore the issue and press 'record anyway' or whatever the option to proceed is. I suppose it's just a courtesy to let you know older recording will be deleted or the new one won't be recorded if your old ones are set to 'never delete'.

#227 ·
We had our Gateway stop communicating with all portals simultaneously tonight. Dashboard couldn't communicate with other portals or the Gateway either so a power cycle on the Gateway was required to get things going again. We did not see this issue before the update.

#229 ·
Well, even with my simple setup (Gateway and 1 Portal) I had what I assume was a Portal crash and restart yesterday, just before 5 pm Central time.

While navigating through the settings I suddenly had a black screen, then an Arris splash screen, then a black screen and another Arris splash screen and then eventually my service was restored. I assume that it was the Portal and not the Gateway that crashed because of the timestamps (in the Dashboard).

Also, although my Portal had little trouble communicating with the Gateway during normal operation, in the Dashboard yesterday it took several minutes before the dashboard could communicate with the Gateway. This occurred several times. I don't yet know if it's better today.

#233 ·
had signal lost on most hd channels last night. When i phoned shaw today they told me to turn the power off and then back on, after this a blue blinking arrow appeared on the gateway display and the shaw customer service rep could not connect to the gateway anymore, he is now sending a service rep to my house but have to wait until next monday

Does anyone know what this blue blinking down arrow is on the gateway? Its pretty hard to be without tv until monday since none of the channels work now:(

#234 ·
Oh ya, there's nothing wrong with this new code at all....

I set a manual recording this morning while I was watching a program as it promised to have some interesting content. However, it now seems I will never get to see that material as I just have 34 minutes showing of what should have been an hour recording. Not only is it a shortened recording but the time bar shows an hour and thirty minutes with just a little more than the last half hour as having recorded.

As has previously been reported, this 'short' recording is actually made up of about the last 5 minutes of the program just looped over and over. Considering that I started the recording within the first 5 minutes of the program, it's the oddest thing I have seen in quite a while. I'm really glad Shaw decided to release this code to us with this bug in it. I guess they figure it's some kind of 'additional feature' that is just a 'value add' or they wouldn't have bothered giving it to us. Surely they can't say they didn't know about it after all of the testing they have done.

All I can say at this point is; I don't believe Shaw does any testing at all. Certainly none that happens in the real world anyway. Another epic FAIL if you ask me.

#235 ·
Now, this is interesting; I just tried a 'reboot' of the Gateway using the Dashboard and I can now see the recording from the point at which I started it this morning. How the heck does that happen? I had been on the channel so the buffer would have had the first part of the program. I really don't care that it's gone now or will it show up too if I reboot again?

Time bar now shows the recording in the first part of an hour but it still says the recording is only 34 minutes in the list.

I can't imagine how anyone 'testing' this code could have missed this one.:rolleyes:

#236 ·
Well, I just got to watch some of that program and it ended where the time bar said it would; at the 34 minute mark. Don't know what happened to the rest of the program or the part that was there before as it's gone now too.

Too funny, Shaw, too funny.

#237 ·
I think people who are on this board regularly should be invited to help shaw test these new codes.
At least get some real world input from those that are willing to do it. Heck we already know how to post feedback in a sense?
I am sure it would only help them push out more solid updates.
just a thought..
I would be willing to help out shaw in this kind of 'beta' testing.

#238 ·
^^^ you would think it a no brainer for shaw to seek assistance from those of us who use the system... with a notepad and e-mail, we would likely identify more bugs than they apparently are able to detect... Their beta testing is worse than Microsoft... (smug little smirk here...)

#239 ·
Just sitting here minding my own business watching American Restoration when the screen goes black, I wait, eventually the portal reboots, no rhyme nor reason! Pissin' me off this latest update!

#240 ·
I too have been experiencing some very frustrating issues like this. I think it's time we all band together are start hounding the Shaw billing dept. for refunds/credits to offset the absolutely horrendous piece of equipment they call the Gateway. I know others on this forum will probably object - but quite honestly Shaw should be demanding money from Arris for their POS, and we should be demanding money from Shaw for their POS until they fix it.

Seeing as we the users are their testing department, bug patches should be rolled out asap (weekly) and for the love of god, give us a changelog with version history and a proper bug reporting/tracking tool. This is nuts! Again, i know people here will object but tough, Shaw shouldnt be so secretive especially when trying to peddle such a poorly operating piece of equipment.

Shaw if your reading this - wake up before a revolt happens and your suckers (clients, sorry) start changing to another system. Do I sound bitter? YUP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.