Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

HDTV/Setbox settings

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Hello everyone...

i know i am new here (but not to forums)... i did try searching and read a bit of the sasktel thread at the top but i didnt find what i was looking for

essentially i am looking to perfect my picture settings on my HDTV and my sasktel setbox

i have a Panasonic 42" plasma (TCP42C1) and the big motorola set box... what are you guys using for your settings to have at least a decent picture? right now i have my settings as follows:

TV type: 46:9
component/HDMI: 1080i
4:3 override: Off
closed captioning: disabled
HDMI Audit output: Stereo

and my TV is set to "Just" display settings...

now the issue is that the picture is kinda stretched while watching TV, and the menus and such (the sasktel max menu) is cut off on the sides... hope that made sense?

i do not subscribe to the HD channels as until they have all HD channels i'm not shelling out for it...

anyways, any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
"Just" stretches the image - see the following FAQ on WS Stretch modes:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76074

If you wish to stretch the SD channels with the TV and leave the HD ones alone, I believe you set the 4:3 override to 480i and then set the TV to stretch SD channels while leaving HD ones unstretched (when you get them). No idea why you'd have an HD STB, an HDTV and not watch HD - SD doesn't look that great on an HDTV.

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQS, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#3 ·
thank you for the info, i will read up on it right now

as for why have an HD box, and TV and dont get channels is becasue plain and simply, there arent enough of them out there yet... and about 2/3s of them suck, meaning i dont watch PBS or CBC etc etc... so at this time its not worth me spending the extra money if i'm not going to use it... know what i'm saying? i'm going to be possibly looking into changing providers but that only leaves Shaw and i dont know about shaw that much, they seem extremely more expensive then sasktel

#7 ·
Didn't know that, thanks 57

But ya I live in an appartment and they very much frown upon dishes on the balconies so I doubt that's even an option for me. So right now I am stuck with sasktel...

I have decided to give Sasktels HD content a try. They have a promotion on right now and I am signing up for it and we'll see how it fairs.

According the them, when subscribing to the HD service, even SD channels will get better quality, he said something to do with the bandwidth that they provide. So we'll see how that fairs.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.