Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Leaving Cogeco, Complaint and Rant Thread

293K views 480 replies 176 participants last post by  TJCams 
#1 ·
I may be moving into an area of Hamilton that is served by Cogeco. I am absouletly apauled the lack of HD available in such a big city.

This is the list of HD channels carried by Cogeco in Hamilton

Citytv
CTV
CBC
SRC
SUN TV
ABC
NBC
CBS
FOX
PBS
WGN
Discovery HD
TSN HD
Sportsnet HD
HD Net
TMN HD
Moviepix HD
PPV HD

This puts Cogeco in a distant 3rd in Hamilton compared to the other two cable companies that have operations in hamilton. Even Source Cable, which only served about 18, 000 homes has way more channels. What gives? How long could it possibly take to upgrade Hamilton? Have they even started to upgrade Hamilton yet? I noticed during the summer the eliminated 4 analog channels. I haven't seen anything major added since they did this.

Judging by other threads it appears Cogeco is also very slow in updating other areas of the province as well.

See less See more
#336 ·
Some problems have caused me to delay my upgrading to Cogeco digital in the family room. 36" CRT gets to stick around for near future at least. Thanks to all who responded. Help here is always appreciated. A virtual double Jack Daniels/rocks awaits in the virtual bar. sailmaker

#337 ·
Internet speed issues as well

I have always been really happy with Cogeco, I have phone and internet through them. I was on the Ultimate 30 package, and at the time my speed was always in the 31-32 Mbps range, with very rare occasions when it would drop to about 28 Mbps. Never had a complaint with the speed.

Recently my wife has been working from home, and decided to get Netflix to watch while working, we tried it for a few weeks and figured that based on how much she was watching (she hit 30 Gb in one day), it would be best to switch to the Ultimate 50 package so we didn't go over our cap. Literally the day they switched it (around mid March) to the higher package, the internet speeds went into the toilet.

It started with speed tests in the low 20 Mbps range, then got worse, dropping to as low as 3 Mbps. I have had some times when the speed was proper, getting as high as 53.28 Mbps once. I thought it might be a congestion issue but sometimes I would get high speeds in the evening as well. Most of the time my speed is under 15 Mbps.

I called Cogeco to report this, and they sent out a tech who checked the lines and found no problems at all. I have spent several nights on the phone with them troubleshooting, first they told me that my modem was still set up for the Ultimate 30 package, but I had been getting a few results in the 50 Mbps range so that didn't make sense. They told me they would have to send it up to their IT department to look into further and I would get a call back in 2 days. 4 days later I had to call them back because they still hadn't called, and was told that they would provision my modem correctly and that would solve the problem. I was told to wait 30 minutes and do another speed test. I waited an hour to be sure and was met with a result of 3 Mbps, not what I would call fixed. When I spoke to them again, I was told it had to be on my end, I did a speed test connected directly to the modem to rule out my network and only got about 8 Mbps.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with Cogeco at this point because they just keep saying it is on my end, but considering my speeds really degraded starting on the day I switched, I am inclined to believe it is entirely on their end. When I was getting speeds of 50 Mbps, I did some tests from my wifes computer, which is connected via a router and then through 2 switches, and was still getting 50 Mbps, so I am pretty sure we can rule out my network.

As much as I have enjoyed Cogeco in the past, it is really time to consider switching over to TekSavvy and dropping the home phone altogether.

#338 ·
I meant to follow up to say that my speed issues were NOT Cogeco's fault. It seems the QOS settings on my router had learned the (previous) maximum speed of my connection and was holding me to it. Disabling QOS on the router corrected the issue and I am now getting the 20 Mbps that I should. So that was my fault.

Still not sure about the QOS settings (Linksys WRV54G). It doesn't claim to be able to auto detect my connection speed and I hadn't entered a maximum speed (the defaults were still 50Mbps up/down).

-Mike

#339 ·
I tried your advice scrooloose and disabled QOS, just ran a speedtest and got 3.74 Mbps down. Considering I was occasionally hitting in the low 50 Mbps with QOS enabled, I don't think that was the culprit. I can't see how the problems are on my end, and the most frustrating part is how Cogeco is insisting it is a problem on my end.

Part of me is suspecting congestion at this point, but I can't see congestion affecting my download speed by 50 Mbps.

#340 ·
Oh, I wasn't suggesting your problem and mine were the same, I just wanted to clear the air regarding mine and your post reminded me to do that.

One thing I would suggest trying is connecting your computer directly to the cable modem, and run your tests from there. Also test at different times of the day to rule out congestion. If you still see the problem, I would call Cogeco and explain all the troubleshooting steps you've taken. In Grimsby I'm getting a reliable 20 Mbps down on the Turbo20 package.

-Mike

#341 ·
I completely agree on the suggestion to test without your router. A couple of years ago, I had seen e-mails from Cogeco for at least a year which touted their new high speeds. I never saw an increase and it was annoying me to no end. Then I tried without my router and my speed went from about 500KB/s to around 1.5MB/s.

#342 ·
I have already done several tests without the router and saw no difference. I just did 2 now, 1st with router was 11.69 down and 2.08 up, 2nd test connected directly to the modem was 12.59 down and 2.09 up. I wouldn't really call that enough of a difference to say my router is at fault. As I mentioned earlier, on one of the times when I was getting over 50 Mbps, I tried a test on my wife's computer, which was connected to the modem via a router and then through 2 switches, and I saw no change in speed. I would think that with 3 pieces of hardware between my wife's computer and the modem, if my network was the cause of this I would definitely see a problem then. Just so you guys can have a look, here are my speed test results http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=5610172ef18b592bef140e30f5e17bf3&ria=0

#343 ·
I hated Cogeco and never wanted to go back but was forced to since we moved. So we set up an appointment for them to come today about three weeks ago. And on Friday 4 days before they were suppose to come we here from them that the phone will not be set up until FRIDAY!!! A week from that day. My dad has cancer and we have no phone for more than a week. So they came over today and set up Internet and guess what! For the T.V. we ordered the HD PVR. So he came over and hooked everything up. When he left it ends up he took the AC adapter from my downstairs T.V. and put it on the T.V. where the HD PVR was suppose to go on. So the T.V. downstairs will not work. I have no phone to contact them. I hate this company so much but I am forced to stay with them.

#344 ·
How come they could not set up the phone?? If they set up the internet, then they should be able to set up the phone, as the phone is through the internet. As for calling Cogeco, could you not call from a work or cell phone, or even a friend or neighbour's house?? You could send Cogeco an e-mail. The contact info is on their website.

#345 ·
How did Cogeco win any Customer Satisfaction Awards?

I'm just wondering how they won any customer satisfaction awards, considering I have sent off multiple emails to them asking what the status is of the new HD channels in my area, since we don't seem to be getting them any time soon and have not gotten a reply yet.

Heck I can't even get the Ultimate 30 in my area.

I know I could call and talk to someone who would basically tell me "We can't give you a date, but we are working on it", but the point is, why even have the option to email in if you're not even going to bother to reply. Also, why would it take anywhere near 5 business days to reply to an inquiry through email?

It's very frustrating especially when I pay the same as people who are getting all the options. And the lack of service isn't stopping them from pushing through their price increases.

So Cogeco, you want to know how you can help me? Start with answering an email and we'll go from there

#346 ·
Well first currently we do not have a cell phone since we only make calls from home. Second my mother did not start her new job until Monday and was not working Friday, Saturday and Sunday and second new neighborhood and asking a neighbor to use there phone since they don't even know us it weird. Anyway so we went to the cogeco store and called from there and I asked what the reason was that they would need us to wait another week before the phone came and she said call bell. I said it is your responsibility to tell us and get that information. I also asked her why he didn`t have the DVR. She said he probably didn`t have any and I said you should have the amount on that truck which is needed for the day and he didn`t say to pick it up or I didn`t have it. I also said I had to come out to the Cogeco store to call and ask and she was like no you didn`t. I said yes because I did not have a phone and couldn`t call customer service and for the reasons I stated above. At the end I said as soon as are previous company comes up here I will cancel you so fast.

#347 ·
I'm sorry. I did not realize you don't have a cell phone. I was trying to come up with a an alternative, as you are in the unfortunate situation of not having an active land line. And you are right, it would be weird to ask neighbours you don't know to use their phone. Going to the store was a good idea. Cogeco should have told you about the wait for the phone service. You should not have been told you don't need to come to the store to make the phone call to Cogeco. As for the DVR, they should have had one for you, seeing as you ordered one.

#348 · (Edited)
Sportsnet

Four Sportsnet channels showing UFC. Sportsnet1, showing Blue Jays, "should be available shortly" for over an hour. Nice. Now I find it's on the old TV with a digital box, but not the new TV with an HD box. Yes, I tried unplugging the HD box.

Okay, now it works. Guess I should have waited longer. You may delete this. I can't seem to.

#349 ·
Mototola 6416 (Cogeco)

I have googled and downloaded or read a bazillion versions of Motorola's totally inadequate and confusing (to me) owner's manual (none of which were included in Cogeco's box of bits and pieces). Neither was a user's manual for the remote control but that is another matter.

The Pace 777D we have in the bedroom shows the time of day until a channel is changed. The channel number shows momentarily then reverts to time of day. Does this feature not work on the 6400 series of DVR's? My eyes have glazed over trying to figure this simple feature out. Is it possible? Am I missing the instructions somewhere? I would prefer the time of day rather than the channel number.

Are all user manuals written by 12-year-old public school dropouts? Just askin'. sailmaker:confused:

#351 ·
Just thought I'd outline my recent experiences and see if there is any hope besides going over to BELL.

Background
I've been with Cogeco since the days of C-channel so I have a long term relationship with them. About 6 months ago my DVR started acting up, would record the first minute of a show, then start another recording with the remainder of the program on it. That and a lot of other problems made me replace it (a PACE) with a Motorola, since then NO problems.

Current PITAs
The two other tvs have HD boxes, also PACE. Two weeks ago channel 164 (ONE) and channels on either side stopped being available. I have made a total of 8 calls to Cogeco and have now been assigned a supervisor to deal with the problems. I have been told it is a software problem and PACE engineers are working on it.
In addition to those channels not always being available, sometimes the Movies network is not available, sometimes the Guide shows no information available even though the box has been on for days.
There have been a LOT of different error codes all of them passed on to Cogeco.
At times one HD box will be working fine and the other not, frustration level getting very high.

My Thoughts
I think the PACE boxes need to be replaced with Motorolas, I'm going to contact Cogeco Limeridge and see if they have any I can swap for.

Human Side of Things
After my wife died I thought I'd never meet anyone else, well I was wrong. I'm now with a wonderful lady. We have bought a house together and are enjoying life. Who was her TV provider? Well it was BELL and I talked her into switching over to Cogeco. As you can imagine her frustration level is VERY high and that means mine is. I also must add that it took BELL 2 1/2 years to remove my late wife's name (we always had our phones with them) from their mailing lists so I don't have much desire to get involved with those clowns again.

END of RANT
Sorry it was so long, I have to close by saying that everyone I have talked to at Cogeco has been very professional and very understanding, I just wish the damn boxes would work.

#353 ·
Not a rant...

I decided to go back to TMN and change my programming package a bit to get rid of the channels that " replaced" HDNet etc after trying them for a few months. Called customer support to arrange and was told no problem. Got home that night from work and my new channels were non functional. Called tech support and after trying a few things they had to escalate and told me 24-48 hours or worst case scenario Monday at the latest. Called back Sunday evening as no changes had occurred. Tech said that it was escalated to higher level and that the people who needed to do the work don't work w/e. Mon after work I checked the channel line up and all was good. The people I talked to were always courteous, professional and a pleasure to talk to. A pretty good experience.

#354 ·
I decided to go back to TMN and change my programming package a bit to get rid of the channels that " replaced" HDNet etc after trying them for a few months. Called customer support to arrange and was told no problem. Got home that night from work and my new channels were non functional. Called tech support and after trying a few things they had to escalate and told me 24-48 hours or worst case scenario Monday at the latest. Called back Sunday evening as no changes had occurred. Tech said that it was escalated to higher level and that the people who needed to do the work don't work w/e. Mon after work I checked the channel line up and all was good. The people I talked to were always courteous, professional and a pleasure to talk to. A pretty good experience.
That "The people I talked to were always courteous, professional and a pleasure to talk to" sure doesn't make up for the fact you were inconvenienced for a weekend and had to make 2 additional calls to get what should have occurred quickly from the first call done.

I would have asked for a good gesture credit of say one month free TMN

#355 ·
Personally, I keep the CSR on the phone until my programming changes are made. They should take max 10 minutes to be pushed through in most circumstances. Anything more and it requires back-end support to fix it, which means they need to elevate it and that can be done right away. At that point, I start to push for a credit right then.

#356 ·
I could have asked

For a credit and have in the past when issues couldn't be resolved in a timely fashion. In this case I didn't feel that not having TMN for 72 hours (when I haven't watched it in 6 months) worth fussing over. Don't get me wrong, I'll complain pretty vocally when I feel slighted or poorly served but in this case I was actually happy with all the techs I spoke with and their level of service.

#357 ·
I suppose I can add my two cents here as an off-again, on-again, off-again, forced back on again Cogeco customer.

Due to where I live (North Halton Region, Ontario), the only reasonably priced way to achieve TV programming and internet is Cogeco. Phone line internet is 640kbps limited due to distance, preventing VoIP services from working correctly. Swallow hard and "go back" to Cogeco.

My opinion of their customer and technical service is they meet my expectations fully. They enjoy a regional monopoly and even offer internet service over my copper phone line. A cimple calculation clearly shows that they have made back their money on any "infrastructure investment" and then some in my 15 year old subdivision. Why not force cable companies to permit collocation of equipment in their head-ends the way Bell (which I have no love for, believe me) is forced to eat collocated equipment in their Central Offices (CO's).

I find Cogeco, like many bloated corporations, stick to their script as their mantra, IMHO. Any service question is met with "we need to arrange for a technician", even when clear evidence of zero changes to internal wiring or equipment indicates it is a network problem on their side of the point of demarcation on my house. Since I have phone and internet too, I log routine network failures every month.

The signal quality on cable is moderate at best. A broadband distribution amp has been the only way to avoid dropout and bad pixellation on even SD content (e.g. Global channel 3).

Ultimately, I think my biggest beef is that in order to speak to Cogeco service, I have to give all my details. Yet, I think they cowardly hide behind their website, vanilla email replies and phone system and never give anything beyond a first name. Where I work, I have to personally OWN a problem when it arises and champion the solution and resolution to the satisfaction of my client. I can only hope that Cogeco people AND the CRTC lurk this thread to see that Cogeco ain't so great.

Final points:
1) The 2009 timeframe "no fine print" TV ad campaign by Cogeco. Only to have junkmail arrive in my mailbox with the ENTIRE back page of the glossy mailing covered in...fine print about terms and conditions. Hmmm....
2) The splitter thing: My home's cable was split upstream of the point of demarcation because Cogeco couldn't find the cable in my neighbour's lawn. When I called many years ago to complain about this situation...guess what? Splitters and barrels didn't matter. When I have a signal issue, it must be that I have too many splitters. Hmmm...
3) Network Migration to SDV and further encryption on "basic cable". I am paying for signal into my home. In the analog days, in-line filters were used to control content access. Any TV could receive ALL the channels I pay for. Not anymore. SDV effectively forces you to use Cogeco hardware that requires two-way communication with the head-end to confirm channel availability. So now, NOT all my TV's get the content I am paying for AND forced me to abandon my PC-based PVR for their mediocre DCT6416III unit. The CRTC had an opportunity to follow the lead of the US digital transition that prevents cable operators from using SDV AND forces them to use cable-card technology that permits third party hardware. I feel fine paying for delivery of content. I object to paying for content and being forced to use equipment I don't like and prevents me from designing and building my own solution.

I need a drink...I'm in a lather again. Thanks for listening.

#358 ·
Cogeco service level- can they deliver??

Only been a Cogeco customer for 7 months. Had to return/exchange my converter 4 times because of pixelation, picture freezes up, sound lost, etc. Had tech out 3 times. Blamed problem on water, signal too strong and unknown. Now PVR is frozen. Customer service said that they can't send a tech out until 7 days from now. Sadly, there is no other choice in Oakville. Bell sat is out b/c of tall trees. I was a Bell customer for 15 years before with zero problem. Cogeco customer service reps answer their phone fast but can they resolve problems? They are not technicians but surely, they can escalate an issue to a speedier resolution. And they want my internet and phone biz...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.