Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sharp BD-HP21U AQUOS Blu-ray Disc Player

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Nexus6 
#1 ·
edited from Sept 3rd press release

As the successor to the BD-HP20U, the BD-HP21U now supports BD-ROM Profile 1.1. The BD-HP21U has an extensive array of connectivity options. The player comes with HDMI 1.3 digital which supports x.v.Color.

Additionally, the player has multi-channel audio output via HDMI by decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. Dolby TrueHD lossless audio technology delivers sound that is identical to the studio master, for a true high-definition experience on next-generation discs. It also decodes Dolby Digital Plus.

The BD-HP21U is compatible with a wide variety of formats including BD-ROM/RE/R, DVD Video, DVD-RW/R, DVD+RW/R, and Audio CDs. The BD-HP21U is also compatible with standard DVDs and is capable of upscaling them via HDMI to 1080p, improving the picture performance of an existing DVD library. AQUOS LINK enables integrated and seamless operation between the Blu-ray disc player and AQUOS LCD TV.

The BD-HP21U employs Sharp's proprietary Quick Start feature, allowing consumers to begin enjoying stunning high-definition video in less than 10 seconds.

The BD-HP21U is available now in glossy black for US $349.99

Also announced Sharp BD-HP50U AQUOS Blu-ray Disc Player for US $449

See less See more
#8 ·
Anyone else having problems with player?

So, I have had this player now for less than one week, and have two movies that is has problem with....

X Files took about 3 minutes to load/play.

Wall-E will not play at all.

At the latest firmware and have sent Sharp a support e-mail. Anyone else having play problems?

Apparently, you get what you pay for....for $169 it is almost disposable in a year or two, but sure frustrating to have to run to the Internet every time you plan to rent/purchase a disc.

Nex

#10 ·
Thanks for the update/confirmation.

I just called Sharp again, and they tell me at this point that Wall-E should indeed work (was fixed with the latest firmware on the site now, but I tried at least a dozen times to get it to load on my player, and it never would). Could have been a disc problem I guess (it was a rental).

They are *still* working on a firmware update for X-Files (though strangely enough, X-Files WORKED on my player), and Narnia - Prince Caspian.

I am told there are no other disc incompatibilities reported at this time.

Nex

#13 ·
My Sharp HP21U

I purchased my Sharp BD-HP21U October of 2008. This was my first Blu-Ray player. I was stunned at how long it took to load a stanard DVD, and much longer it took to load Blu-Ray discs. Well now that I am used to the almost 1.5 minutes to load a disk, I purchased "Stargate: The Ark of Truth". It took almost 4 minutes to begin playing the movie previews and another 2 minutes when I halted the previews and tried to get the movie to play.

Sharp tech support acknologes the problem with playing recent Blu-Ray releases and says "a firmware update" is coming, but they have no idea what it will address or when it's due.

I am now going to make my Sharp player a backup unit and I plan to purchase a LG BD300 or Panasonic DMP-BD35.

How can any company release a product that is supposed to be used for "state of the art" home theater, when the product has such poor performance?

#14 ·
Interesting.....I find mine loads DVD's quite quickly. Have you done any firmware upgrade at all? One of the 1st things I did after purchasing was upgrade the firmware, so I have no experience with the factory installed version (if not recent).

There is also a new firmware posted on their site as well as of early February...

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/TypeSoftware/0,1086,229,00.html

It is supposed to fix Disney BD and 20th Century Fox movie problems.

Nex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.