Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

cascading SW44 switch for 5+ tuners

258K views 367 replies 91 participants last post by  46FD04 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have read all three of these methods work with some being more stable than others.

The first method uses High Frequency splitters with power pass to separate all four lines into 8 lines which then feeds two SW44 switches.

Administrators Note:
I want to thank Q for all his work setting these threads. All of the work below was done by him. I merely helped him post some of this information (hence why it appears to be posted by me). Please direct any thanks or questions to him - Hugh

See less See more
#273 ·
No.

You would need an 8 Way switch on each LNBF's feeds, then 2 lines from each to each of 3 x SW44's. You would then still have capacity for a 4th SW44.

if you switched to DPP you could do it all with 2 lines from the DPP Twin LNBF, then 2 x DPP44's. Add a DPP Separator at each Dual Tuner and you are away, might be about the same cost but much cleaner.

#274 ·
I could be wrong in my thinking but with all SD now on the 91 satellite, I would think that luck11 would need one SW38 (connected to 91), one SW34 (connected to 82) and two SW44s. The two SW44s would handle the 8 HD tuners and the SW38 would connect to the two SW44s plus the 3100 receiver.

#276 ·
Im pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. We have a single 9242 , and 3 other single tuner recievers with one being a 6100. I have 2 high capacity splitters ( one with power pass and the other only has a sinle power pass) and 2 sw44's... Can i pull this off with my equipment or do i need some other pieces? Thanks

#281 ·
5 Tuners problem

Hi,
I have been struggling with this setup for over a week. I wanted to add a 5th tuner to my setup.

I set up exactly what is described in Post#1:
2 x SW44
4 x HF splitters with dual power pass (splitters are 1 in-2 out)

I have one of the SW44 connected to 2 HD receivers (4 tuners)
The other SW44 is connected to my 6100 HD receiver (1 tuner)

I have both SW44 connected to a power inserter as well.

I am having no signal on sat 91 even channels on 6100, and the signal levels in general on this 6100 are lower than my other two receivers.

This is a brand new SW44 that I just purchased.
The SW44 to my 6100 is also noticeably hotter to the touch than my other SW44. There is also one of the splitters that is also warm to the touch where the other three are cool to the touch, i.e., not heating up at all.

Any suggestions on what my problem may be?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

#282 ·
Possible partial short circuit on one of the short jumper cables feeding to or from the splitter, switch that is/ are getting warm.

Splitters should not get warm.

#283 ·
5 Tuner Problem

I have a similar problem to mhyndman:

My original Bell TV install included a 9241 PVR and two 6131 digital boxes. I wanted to add one tuner; a 5900. I used the diagram in the third post in this thread (2 SW34 [Zinwell “SAM -3402] and an additional SW44 [“Dish Network”]) to add the 5900 tuner. The 9241, one 6131 and the 5900 are supplied by one SW44 and one 6131 is supplied by the other SW44 through the first output that is powered.
All the boxes except the 6131 from the second SW44 work as expected. This box will not display any HD channels from ‘even’ transponders from Sat 82.
I thought the wiring was done correctly, but I must have done something wrong. Any suggestions?

#287 ·
Nce one, it is almost something very basic if you have followed the drawings diagrams on Digital Home.

Glad you are both up and running again.

Please stick around the Forums and help others out with your area of expertise if you can.

#288 ·
New to this so please bear with me.

Have just completed renovations and wanted to supply up to 8 locations in the house with the ability to have satellite TV. Set up configuration in posting #1 (i.e. 4 all point power pass splitters (5 MHz) to two SW44 switches) and it doesn't seem to be working - at least for satellite 91. Switch test fails to detect all satellites and when I do point dish, I don't get any signal on transponders 4, 10 and 32 of satellite 91 and for some of the others I get a fairly good signal (i.e. > 70%) but it can't seem to identify the satellite (note: for most transponders I get a reasonably good signal and it can identify the satellite).

For the short term this is not a problem because I only have a two 6131 and one 9241 on the system and can get by with just one SW44 switch - but in the near future will have as many as two 9241 and three 6131s.

I don't completely understand a lot of the things discussed here but they have made me think about a couple of possible explanations and I was hoping to get some feedback on these ideas.

1) In my tests I have only attached receivers to one SW44 switch. I read about receivers sending power to the satellite and I was wondering if having receivers hooked up to the second switch would make a difference.

2) Related to the above, I don't have the power inserter hook up to my second SW44 switch (it is still in a box somewhere after the move back in).

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#289 ·
I would suggest starting with the basics and proving that you have the feeds into the 1st SW44 correct. Connect a receiver directly to each cable in turn and prove that you are getting all TP's on both birds.

After that connect the SW44 back up and try the receivers on the outputs and see if that works. Only after getting the first SW44 running, would I start adding in the splitters and testing again.

#290 ·
Thanks Pinza, It works fine when I plug satellite feeds directly into the powered SW44 switch. It's only when I try to pre-split the feeds into two SW44 switches where I have the problem. I think I'll have to wait to find the power inserter for the second switch and see if that helps.

The weird thing for me is that it can recognize Nimiq 91 on some transponders and not others.

Anyway, thanks again.

#291 ·
losing 82 with second sw44 switch

I just install my second sw44 with 4 receivers with plans to upgrade to 6 receivers. I thought everything was fine, until I plugged in the second power switch to the second SW44. On the switch the two receivers are getting signal from 91 and 92. However on my first switch the receiver that has the power plugged in only gets signal from 91.
Here is my set up, I followed post number 3
Two SW34
Two SW44 one by microroyal and other VIDEOPATH SW44
Receiver
1x 6131
3x 3100

#292 ·
It could be a bad Power Inserter. As you have plenty of spare ports, you could just use another one for now. The line from Port#1 with the Power Inserter, does NOT have to be connected to a Receiver as well, just so you know.

Also which receiver are you testing that port with.?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.