Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Videotron Rant Thread

113K views 286 replies 55 participants last post by  Stavr0 
#1 ·
I am glad I found this discussion forum. I have been a Videotron customer for 5 years. Now that I have my HDTV it is getting more and more frustrating to subscribe to Videotron. I have no issue with their product or service qualities. My problem is their lack of choice, particularly on HD. Unfortunately for me, I have nowhere to go. Living in an apartment, sattelite dish is out of the question. Also, the building is not served by other cable companies.

I really hate to see TV discussion fora discussing a number of shows to which I do not have access. Also, to say that Videotron focuses more to its market demographics does not make enough sense since the total HD channels it carries is actually less than that of Cogeco, that serves the Estrie. Also, Cogeco carries more English channels even though demographically there is more Anglophones in Montreal, in percentage or in total number.

Specifically, this is what I miss being with Videotron:

CW, or its shows in HD.
AMC
The Score HD for US college football
Timeshifting (US or Canada) in HD
Showcase HD

Specifically to CW, some of its shows are carried by /A\ or Sun TV. Alas, we do not get /A\ at all nor Sun TV in HD.

Well, that is my rantings. Thank you for reading.

See less See more
#62 ·
Here is another gotcha Videotron seems to play. Last month I went over my cap. This is the 3rd time in 10 years. The last time I never received any notifications despite being signed up for 75%, 90% and 100% usage. In prior months I received the notifications so I know my mail was not filtering them. What did change is I purchased a block and when it was removed the next month the % notifications were only sent out based on the extra block. So the next month I got hit with a large (for me) penalty. The next time I logged in and checked my usage. I was under by about 12GB. I did download something that night but what I did not know is that the total was not up to date. I was actually near my cap and then went over that night. Zing again!

Today I log in as it is my last day before usage is reset and guess what? Now they list my usage good. But it say "Last updated today January 24, 2012 at 10:13 AM". Great except that was almost 10 hours old. So right now it is impossible to determine my balance with any accuracy. I realize I am asking too much and they say you are responsible for measuring your own cap. But does it really take 10 hours to update a usage statistic. It is kinda like going to a gas station and wanted to put $40 in gas in your car. As you approach $39 the digits stop changing and you have to guess the amount you put in. And if you go under you still pay $40 and if you go over you pay 10X the going rate. I guess I will find out in 2 weeks when I get my bill. :(

#66 ·
I had to do that last month as well. I checked my usage and it was not up to date and I ended up overshooting my limit. But before the end of the billing period I purchased a block. However, now that you can do it online you have the option of auto-renewing or not. I choose to not auto-renew. So you cannot get 2 blocks for the price of 1 any longer. Or at least it seems that way. At least now it is clear.

#64 ·
Illico 2.0

I have a cisco 8642 and the rep today told me I was fine and do not need to upgrade. But reading some of the comments in the other forum I suspect this terminal will be phased out with the Samsungs'. Plus there are many users with older machines that have no choice if they want the "nouvelle generation".

What bothers me is they are not providing any type of real incentive with new hardware. They should offer existing customers a terminal for free like Bell offers to new and existing customers. I am so on the fence about switching but now wondering if it makes sense to just go with Bell and get the free terminal, better HD ect as opposed to hoping for the best with Videotron. I know Bell can be an issue with billing ect but videotron can not continue to live on the fact that they have superior customer service if their technology is not up to par.

I hope I posted in the right place.

#65 ·
I have the same concerns about the hardware and also about the maturity of the new software vs Bell Fibe. Bell has gone thru the initial implementation bugs and for Illico II we do not know how well it will work out of the box (although I will be keeping an eye on the forums when they start implementing Quebec City and Saguenay regions starting next week!)

The other issue for me now is that Bell Fibe is not yet available where I live so I have to wait anyway for either Bell or Videotron (September for Montreal?).

#67 ·
I just wanted to echo my concerns as well about the hardware. As I posted is the new Illico generation thread, I find it difficult to accept Videotron not offering a rebate or exchange plan for their terminals. If they want to keep existing customers, I hope they consider this.

#69 ·
Vidéotron provides an FAQ about Illico 2:
Français: http://soutien.videotron.com/residentiel/television/faq-illico-ng
English: http://support.videotron.com/residential/television/faq-illico-ng

You can read this:
Is switching to illico TV new generation free?
Yes.
You will not be charged for switching to illico TV new generation, and your invoice will stay the same.
Let's see... Customers already received a 2$ increase for the basic service last january 2012. If you check Videotron's website, Packages section, you'll notice that their prices have increased!

Examples, Custom Package 10 (17$) is now 20$, that's 2$ per channel.
Pre-assembled packages have almost all increased by 1$.

So, if your only TV needs are for hockey games in HD where you pick basic + 10 channels, you pay 20$ basic + 20$ for 10 channels + 3$ network access fee + 3$ HD fees + 3$ for TSN/RSN HD + 1.5% LPIF + GST + QST. Total 57.18$ just to get hockey games on TSN. That's expensive.

A 500$ Channel Master PVR for antenna looks more interesting than a 400$ Videotron terminal.

#70 ·
@Rainey
I had made my appointment with Bell for this Saturday only to cancel it a couple of days ago because Videotron retentions made me a pretty good offer...

The thing that bothered me with Bell is how expensive their land line phone is. You have to subscribe to all three services to get the free PVR. And to think, they started off as a PHONE company! All the money I was to potentially save from TV would have gone towards the extra bucks I had to put in for the phone.

#71 ·
You don't need them for your phone line, I made the swap to FibeTV/Internet, went with a dry loop and kept Vonage, still works out cheaper overall and I never get a long distance bill.

If you have a cell phone with Bell, that will also count as your 3rd service for the free PVR.

#73 ·
I chatted with tech service and he confirmed that the CISCO receivers are compatible with all upcoming "new generation" features including the multiroom !

Do we know why they dropped the CISCO boxes so fast ?

#75 ·
c/p cm302

Let's see... Customers already received a 2$ increase for the basic service last january 2012. If you check Videotron's website, Packages section, you'll notice that their prices have increased!

Examples, Custom Package 10 (17$) is now 20$, that's 2$ per channel.
Pre-assembled packages have almost all increased by 1$.

So, if your only TV needs are for hockey games in HD where you pick basic + 10 channels, you pay 20$ basic + 20$ for 10 channels + 3$ network access fee + 3$ HD fees + 3$ for TSN/RSN HD + 1.5% LPIF + GST + QST. Total 57.18$ just to get hockey games on TSN. That's expensive.
YIKES!!!! I did not know it was $20 for 10 channels!!!!!!
I Just checked out the 15 and 30 channels option and the prices are crazy.
Yes Videotron is way expensive compared to Bell. I had a post comparing prices and it was removed so I won't go into details here.

C/p Mozarella
.... Bell Fibe. The service and the price may not be as good as Videotron in the long run (This remains to be seen.),.... f you are with Videotron just because it is cheaper then you are wasting your money anyway.
There is no way Videotron is cheaper. I have the a la carte 15 with Bell Satellite and my parents have the same thing with Videotron. There is no comparison possible.

They do not have Canadian time shifting
Their American Channels are not included in their basic channels
LCN is not included in their basic channels
They do not get HD becuase they have to pay the $3 HD fee.

Videotron will give you $3 off if you have a second service. My parents had $3 off on their mobile service and a dollar off on their TV package but videotron switched the $3 credit over to the TV package so they could be seen as giving better value on their TV programming.Yep way to go Videotron!!!!! But their prices are still higher than others.

I am ranting about Videotron so I think the post is placed in the right thread.

#81 ·
c/p cm302

YIKES!!!! I did not know it was $20 for 10 channels!!!!!!
I Just checked out the 15 and 30 channels option and the prices are crazy.
Yes Videotron is way expensive compared to Bell. I had a post comparing prices and it was removed so I won't go into details here.

C/p Mozarella

There is no way Videotron is cheaper. I have the a la carte 15 with Bell Satellite and my parents have the same thing with Videotron. There is no comparison possible.

They do not have Canadian time shifting
Their American Channels are not included in their basic channels
LCN is not included in their basic channels
They do not get HD becuase they have to pay the $3 HD fee.

Videotron will give you $3 off if you have a second service. My parents had $3 off on their mobile service and a dollar off on their TV package but videotron switched the $3 credit over to the TV package so they could be seen as giving better value on their TV programming.Yep way to go Videotron!!!!! But their prices are still higher than others.

I am ranting about Videotron so I think the post is placed in the right thread.
Yes Videotron is way expensive compared to Bell
I disagree with you, the prices are VERY close. Especially if you get HD. Besides you have a much better service from Videotron than you do Bell. Try calling for tech support on a Saturday/Sunday morning, see how fast you get through with both companies.

#76 ·
On April 4th, Illico 2.0's official launch date here, I will examine changes to the IPG on my Cisco 4642. Then, I will check my SA8300, which will probably be stuck on Illico 1. I wonder if Videotron will offer rebates to those who choose to stick with Illico 1?

#78 · (Edited by Moderator)
Gillest, on the French forum, reminded me that I have to order it; the upgrades are not automatic. I will call tomorrow, as some customers are getting it 'pushed through' earlier. I watched the press conference on the 27th, and I have read enough on Broadbandreports to know that the 8300's will not get the upgrade. Unless they offer a free Samsung to replace my 8300, within a reasonable time frame,

#80 ·
Illico 2.0 upgrades are by city sector, so mine will be May 1st or within 72 hours of that date. If you sign in to the 'Customer Centre'; the upgrade is proposed automatically for your specific appropriate decoders (Cisco, Samsung), and then the date is specified.

#83 ·
I disagree with you, the prices are VERY close. Especially if you get HD.
Questionnable.

Bell's basic service includes basic HD channels.
Vidéotron charges 3$ more for HD access, but you can receive basic channels in HD for free over the air using an antenna. What a rip-off ! (Yes, if you subscribe ONLY to basic service, you MUST pay HD fees, otherwise it's "not authorized").

Bell basic service includes american networks.
Vidéotron makes you pay extra for Vermont american networks, either in a package or à la carte. But they get them for free, paying absolutely nothing to the stations, AND you get those channels simsubbed almost all the time by canadian networks, reducing even further their value.

À la carte packages
Bell: 15 channels for 15$, 20 channels for 19$, 30 channels for 24$. Something like that.
Vidéotron: 15$ for 23$, 20 channels 26$, 30 channels 32$.

The Movie Network
Bell: 13$ includes their 4 HD versions, Mpix, and superstations.
Vidéotron: 16$, includes 2 HD versions. Period. Mpix is extra, Superstations is extra without HD versions.

When breaking down the numbers for each specialty from the CRTC database, you find out that each specialty costs in average between 40 and 48 cents per subscriber per month, sport channels costs (around 1$) more but were counted. The Movie Network gets 8.87$.

If a cheap car costs $10 000 to build at the factory, does it get a price tag everywhere for $22 000, the car dealer making a 120% profit?
That's what Vidéotron does actually. they don't program the channels, they don't deal with acquisitions, production, advertisements, etc., they just take a signal and deliver it back to you. How come they get the bigger cut? That's sickening.

#84 ·
Based on my experience with Bell for internet and telephone, and with Videotron for TV, I can say that Videotron's customer service is head and shoulder above Bell.

However, looking at their offering (or lack of it), the superior customer service simply loses its meaning. I have made an appointment with Bell Fibe and based on what I need this is what I get:

Basic: 20
Additional terminal: 6
Network access: 3
20 a la carte: 26
HD network access: 3
TSN/RSN HD: 3
Movie Network: 16

This is what I will get from Bell Fibe:

Basic: 23
Timeshift: 3
15 a la carte: 15
4 HD theme packs: 10
Movie Network: 13

Channels I will get: all the timeshifters, The Score, Showcase, AMC, TCM, the super stations, M Fun, Disney XD, Food Network, TLC, Much, W; all in HD.

Channels I will lose: CNN and A&E. I may lose several more channels from the Basic, but I do not care for them.

Please note that the channels that I will get are all not available in HD on Videotron. Also, the hardware from Bell are available for free.

#85 ·
c/p from CM3020PROB
Questionnable.

Bell's basic service includes basic HD channels.
Vidéotron charges 3$ more for HD access, but you can receive basic channels in HD for free over the air using an antenna. What a rip-off ! (Yes, if you subscribe ONLY to basic service, you MUST pay HD fees, otherwise it's "not authorized").

Bell basic service includes american networks.
Vidéotron makes you pay extra for Vermont american networks, either in a package or à la carte. But they get them for free, paying absolutely nothing to the stations, AND you get those channels simsubbed almost all the time by canadian networks, reducing even further their value.

À la carte packages
Bell: 15 channels for 15$, 20 channels for 19$, 30 channels for 24$. Something like that.
Vidéotron: 15$ for 23$, 20 channels 26$, 30 channels 32$.

The Movie Network
Bell: 13$ includes their 4 HD versions, Mpix, and superstations.
Vidéotron: 16$, includes 2 HD versions. Period. Mpix is extra, Superstations is extra without HD versions.

When breaking down the numbers for each specialty from the CRTC database, you find out that each specialty costs in average between 40 and 48 cents per subscriber per month, sport channels costs (around 1$) more but were counted. The Movie Network gets 8.87$.

If a cheap car costs $10 000 to build at the factory, does it get a price tag everywhere for $22 000, the car dealer making a 120% profit?
That's what Vidéotron does actually. they don't program the channels, they don't deal with acquisitions, production, advertisements, etc., they just take a signal and deliver it back to you. How come they get the bigger cut? That's sickening.
Thanks CM, that is what I have been trying to tell peolple here.The only downside to Bell is that they are more limited in the channels that you can choose from in the a la carte options.

But if all your favourite channels are there in the Bell choices like TSN,RDS etc. RDS2 is not an extra either, then Bell is way cheaper then Videotron.

And what bugs me is Quebecor wants us to pay for his Hockey arena but has no problem dishing out 500 million. Actually over payed for their mobile spectrum to block off competition and another 500 million to set up their cell towers.That's One Billion dollars but not a cent for an arena. And he won't pay taxes on it like the average joe because it is a public arena. But Molson Built their own arena and pays taxes on it just like everyone.

So that's my beef with Quebecor and Peladeau.He wants everything for nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.