Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTA Station Status: Toronto, Hamilton (Closed - use 2011)

Tags
cbc reception
365K views 2K replies 238 participants last post by  PPL4GOLF 
#1 ·
This is a question for folks who are tuned into CBC-HD OTA in the GTA. When there is HD programming on the CBC channel, do they also broadcast an SD DTV feed of the same thing on one of the subchannels?

#247 ·
I emailed both Global TV Ontario and CH in regards to CHCH-DT going live in 6 days. While I have not got a response yet from CH, Global sent an automated response back that stated the following...

Are Global and CH planning to broadcast over the air in HDTV?
We are working hard to provide our viewers with over the air HDTV, but no implementation date has been set as of yet. Please continue checking www.globaltv.com for updates.
If someone wants to take the time to contact CH Engineering, the phone number is available on the CH website. I don't have the time at this moment, but should have some come the middle of the week.

#248 ·
I'm a bit of a newb here, but if Omni started broadcasting (testing) 18 months ago they obviously have the capability, so why would they be pushing to wait another year before they start it up again?

I seriously doubt that technical ability is a real excuse for lack of OTA broadcasting, so why are stations so reluctant?

#249 ·
I contacted the engineers at OMNI directly about why they are not broadcasting OMNI1 and OMNI2 via their -DT Transmissions, and the answer I got was simply that they have everything setup and ready to go but they don't want the expense of operating the station until they have too. Also, they don't have much a demand for OMNI via OTA DT unless people e-mail them and call to complain, which is actually what the engineer suggest that I tell fellow DHCers and those on the other sites as well, so Rogers feels they need to launch the service now instead of waiting.

From what I gathered, its simply a flip of the switch that needs to be done, but until they have reason to do it, they won't.

#250 ·
everyone register hotmail and yahoo accounts and send multiple emails to omni right now, thats stupid that their transmitters are just sitting there. like, why are any of the other stations broadcasting OTA-HD right now, if they don't 'have' to. it's called providing a service for your city's residents

#251 ·
my email to omni

OMNI1 and OMNI2, can you please get your digital signals broadcasting over-the-air in Toronto. So far, you have been a disapointment to many OTA viewers. Numerous other Toronto stations have their digital off-air signals now broadcasting, but you seem to be delaying. Don't let your transmitters sit there turned off, you should be eager to begin broadcasting off-air digitally, to bring this new service to your viewers, not stalling because of the expense.

Please get your signal broadcasting now, or it will really show how other Toronto stations WANT to provide new services to their viewers (ie CITY-HD, broadcasting digital for years now) wheras OMNI is more concerned about profits than their viewers.

Thanks, please ensure this email is read and considered

#252 ·
Here's my email, FWIW:

I would like to know when OMNI is planning to start broadcasting OTA content. I prefer to use OTA over traditional cable and can currently get all of the major US stations as well as a few Canadian ones (CBC, CTV, City) but unfortunately they do not carry the same diverse content that I have come to enjoy from OMNI. Unfortunately without subscribing to cable I can no longer enjoy your programming. Previously I was able to receive your OTA broadcasting and did enjoy it, however it has not been active for some time. Are you planning to resume the broadcast anytime soon?

I heard some disturbing rumours that the broadcast is not active simply as a cost savings measure. I surely hope that a major Canadian station would not be trying to alienate viewers just to save the (relatively) tiny cost of operating the transmitter.

Thank you for your consderation of this matter,

#254 ·
Telek, first of all welcome here, and secondly don't get too wound up about ATSC stations at this time. See this post for some info I've recently provided to another person. It deals with why the entire Digital OTA broadcasting industry in Canada is presently at a standstill:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...85&postcount=8

Briefly, broadcasters in Canada are not making any moves to Digital OTA until a clear CRTC statement is made. In my opinion the question of when any of the proposed OTA stations will go on air is moot until those CRTC proceedings result in an answer, so lets not belabour it here.

#255 ·
Stampeder: Thanks for your response.

For what it's worth I received word back today from Omni:

Dear {my name},

Thank you for your email.

When formally in place, OMNI.1 will be available in HD over-the-air on channel 64. OMNI.2 will be available in HD over-the-air on channel 44.

However, we are currently in the midst of testing the system and are not legally required -- according to our licence -- to have it up and running until July of 2007.

We do hope to have it operational before then.

Please be assured that we will issue a formal announcement before the official launch of OMNI-TV HDTV OTA.

We appreciate your interest.

Regards,

{Representitive's name}.
OMNI Television
Programme Information Coordinator
Interestingly enough the "Dear" and "Thank you" lines (first two) and the "regards" and signature were in a different font than the rest of the email, indicating that it was probably a copy/paste response. This would also explain why the content of the reply wasn't directly related to my request (bringing up legal requirements). However it is still interesting and hopefully they will be online soon? This response indicates that they are still moving ahead and intend to be online before July instead of following Global into 2008.

#256 ·
CHCH-DT Extension has been granted

I recieved the following today from John Jarrett, the Manager of Operations, Engineering and IT at CHCH Channel 11 today. Looks as if they have received an extension, although I can not find mention of it on the CRTC website.

Greetings xxx,

CHCH has (like all CanWest stations) put all HD decisions on hold pending the results of the CRTC regulatory meetings held late last fall.
In this light our regulatory department has arranged an extension to the April 21 date.

Regards,
John
Too bad, looks like we got a bit of time to wait now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.