Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Data Roaming

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JamesK 
#1 ·
I have a BB but only use it for voice. Data has never been used on it. In addition data option has been disabled on the phone. I went to mexico for a week and was charged data roaming. Charge was not significant but I think it is not justified.

First, data is disabled. Second, phone was turned off and locked in the safe with the exception of arrival and departure when the phone was on. Rogers claims that $80 worth of data was incurred for updating the time and date during those two days. If this is possible I will gladly pay the price but something tells me that this is not exactly how data roaming works.

Please give me your comments...

#3 ·
When I was in the U.S. last week, I paid for phone, but not data roaming. I normally have my phone configured to not allow data roaming, but to be sure, I turned off data completely. I was able to use WiFi at the hotel though. If you didn't turn off data or block data roaming, you have have sent or received a small amount of data. However, I don't know how you managed to use data, if it was turned off.

BTW, I'm on Rogers.

#4 ·
Rogers claims that $80 worth of data was incurred for updating the time and date during those two days.
That doesn't sound right. The date and time are picked up from the cellular network and are not data services.

I've travelled all over the world with my phone and have data roaming disabled and the date/time automatically adjust and I've never been charged by Rogers.

#5 ·
All the data settings on my BB were turned off as a precaution even though I do not have data enabled. Rogers claims that doesn't matter because roaming was not disabled on my account.

Even if this is the case, I still don't see how it could have accrued $80 for time/date updates.

#6 ·
I'll have to check my next bill to see if I get charged for any data. I even called Rogers before I left to ask about the voice roaming plans and told them I had data roaming disabled. He didn't mention anything about disabling it on my account. Also, what are people who frequently cross the border? Are they supposed to update their account coming & going for every trip? I used my phone in Georgia, Illinois & Missouri and roamed on AT&T.

#9 ·
Are you using a Rogers branded phone or a non-rogers phone?

a good indication your data is not properly disabled is if you get the message to buy a data day pass. This means your data session IS ABLE to talk to the APN. This means a CDR record is created. If you sent a mms and your data is truely disabled, you would get an error from the phone, not the actual network. I know this sounds harsh, but this means the phone is making a data cdr record on another providers network. They are simply passing the CDR on to rogers and its coming to you as a roaming data charge. even if no data was actually downloaded off the network from your phone, attempts to connect still count, and blackberries are the "always on" type of connection so they keep retrying. it was problay a small amount of data, but multiply the cost when your on someone elses network, its never a small amount in the end.

#10 ·
I was charged $150 for 24 MB worth of data roaming in the US recently. 24 MB isn't much these days. I knew all about data roaming and didn't turn on my phone unless absolutely necessary, but to be charged $6 / MB is absolutely outrageous!

I have a 6 GB data plan for $30 / month, and so charging me $150 for 24 MB of data works out to me using 0.04 percent of my normal monthly data, but being charged 5 times the amount, just due to roaming, in nearby Chicago!!! (it's not like Chicago is that far south of the border - I know, it's still a different country though).

0.04% for 5 times the amount!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.