Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Jelly Bean for Galaxy Nexus

12K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  VSAdmin 
#1 ·
So far no update from Wind for Galaxy Nexus. Still running 4.0.1.
Interestingly my dad (also with Wind) has Nexus S and Wind did OTA update for his phone to latest ICS.

I did my research and it seems GN does not work well with ICS further update. I wonder if thats why Wind never send me OTA.

Anyways, now the big question is will Wind send us Jelly Bean?

#6 ·
Wind doesn't give you updates.
They come from Google and/or the phone manufacturer (depending on model - Nexii should be direct from Google)

The Canadian GN has received updates on a delay for some reason or another. If you want the latest and greatest ASAP, you can download the ROM yourself from Google the second it's available. No need to wait for OTA prompt.

#12 ·
Just a FYI, my dad's Nexus S just got OTA Jelly Bean right now. (Jun 20)

Boy am I pissed :mad:

This is it, flashing my GN with 4.0.4 tonite. I don't care if it takes all night. I am going to figure this out lol.

Will check back in the morning. I'll have either a 4.0.4 with OTA Jelly Bean, or a paper weight.

Wish me luck. :D

#13 ·
Hey Guys,

So middle of night. I finally was able to go from 4.0.1 --> 4.0.4 --> 4.1.
Btw I was on Yakjuux.

Anyways, soon as I booted up 4.1....Right away I got an update for 4.1.1.

Now thats service. Anyways, seems faster.

More reports later.

If anyone is interested I used a ToolKit. And man was it still pain in the A.

#16 ·
How or when do I get the update?

How long does it take for these samsung and fido etc to push the update to jb?

does it take a month? week? days?

If its month I may attempt to get it other ways?

I am with Fido, samsung/yakjuux/maguro/4.0.1/ITL41F

Any advice is welcomed.

#17 ·
Mine is the same as yours stationg. I was told that Samsung's KIES software will do all the backup and new OS required... Doesn't work on my PC... won't load the driver required. I am told that it works on some PCs and perfectly on MACs.
I have not quite finished trying on my PC ( I7) but I'll try to just run with one cpu tomorrow... would not be the first time that multi cpus and hyperthreading has caused a problem.

Anyway. DOes anyone have a totally reliable url to get JB onto a regular Locked with Rogers YAKJUUX GN without having to root the phone and fiddle about with it...Please

#19 ·
Awesomeness

Just a follow up, that guide worked like a dream for me. Easy to follow for a newb like myself.

This is for people who just want to get JB without having to wait for Samsung or your cell provider! and are working on a Mac.

Awesome.

#20 ·
Nobody knows when the yakjuux variant will be updated. It might be never, but I suspect the holdup is that it needs carrier approval from all the carriers who sold it (basically everyone). That'll take a while.

Kies won't help with a Galaxy Nexus. Kies is meant for Samsung's other (non-Nexus) devices. Nexus updates come OTA, so you'll just get an alert on your phone when it's ready.

The only real way to get 4.1 at the moment is to flash a yakju or takju image onto the phone. The hardware is identical, and with yakju/takju, updates come right away, directly from Google. Any yakju/takju image will work, as the phone will then get OTA updates to Android 4.1.1. Unfortunately, this means erasing the device, though most things can be backed up.

#21 ·
I have just done this this morning. Went to the XDA site for instructions, followed them and got yakju. The instructions suggested that everything on the phone would be wiped but no nothing was...interesting. A rather fiddly process in my opinion.

About 2 minutes, literally, after booting with yakju I got the notification from Google and down loaded JB.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.