Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Getting nasty throttling, seems to be coming from the router

3K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  prizm 
#1 ·
After torrenting something, recently I've been having horrible congestion problems, but only on this current PC. Upload tops off at 8kb/s, if it works, trying to use anything on the network is near-unusable, even if it's the router setup or the LAN, SSH became much slower, and downloads like to stall.

Every other device works just fine, WiFi or not.

Using a WiFi 802.11b adapter, with a bad signal still works far better than ethernet, so I think it may be filtering my MAC. Rebooting the router doesn't help. I've tried unplugging and replug the ethernet cable on both sides (routed under the basement) as sometimes it helps, but not right now.

#4 ·
Try resetting the router to factory defaults and reconfigure from scratch. I would reconfigure as little as necessary and only make changes one at a time. Keep track of changes so that if/when the problem reoccurs, the problem setting will be known. If that doesn't help, try a different router.

It would help if the router make/model was known. Some models run out of resources with many connections and just are not capable of handling heavy load situations like torrents. Reducing the speed, number of connections and number of active torrents in the torrent client may help.

#6 ·
The Actiontec R1000H looks like a capable router. I would try reducing the number of connections in the torrent client first.

Resetting would be my next step. If QOS is enabled, you might want to try disabling that first. I would also check for firmware updates on the Actiontec site. Definitely reset the router if the firmware is updated. Just make a note of any configuration settings that were made and any passwords that are required. Saving screen shots may help.

#7 ·
There are no QoS rules added, Other than changing UPnP to on (otherwise XBL doesn't work half the time), enabling port forwarding for web servers and ports 4990-5000, (that last ports were added since the trottling) and changing WiFi to WEP for older devices, it's not very custom.

#8 ·
UPnP should be on. Don't know what else to suggest apart from reducing the number of peer connections. It also possible that the ports in the router are defective but I doubt that at this point.

#12 ·
As file suggested, it may be worth trying a different ethernet cable. I would also test speeds between the PC and another device on the LAN. If they are fine, it could be on the cable connection or modem side. Try checking the outside line connections at all points in the house and, if possible, check signal quality levels to the ISP.

#13 ·
It's working slightly better. Extremely sporadic. It doesn't help that NetworkManager says my gigabit controller is running at 10/100 speeds.

Rerouting a new ethernet cable is near-impossible. Getting this first cable through the basement and to the router in another room that's on the same floor was... bad.

#15 ·
The router says it's on gigabit.

Problems are flaring up again. The device on Port 3 (an Xbox 360 that was on Port 2) seems a little sluggish, but is working fine still.

Also Rogers came to my house (used to have cable in 90s) without permission and was checking wires and equipment, fiddling with it. Neighbours had the same problem.

#16 ·
Rerouting a new ethernet cable is near-impossible.
It might be worth just trying a different cable just by routing it through the rooms. Cheap cable testers are available but usually need access to both ends. Some PC BIOS's (and maybe routers) have built in ethernet cable testers. If defective, the existing cable may just need a new connector. If it's damaged in an inaccessible area, there is little choice but to replace it. You may be able to tape a new cable to the existing one and pull the new cable in while pulling the old one out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.