Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cogeco Pace DC550D Non-PVR HD Box Discussion

102K views 58 replies 23 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Bought a Pace DC550D non-pvr HD box.

I noticed the cables included didn't quite match the back panel connections.

Included:

Component video cable. Matches back panel.

Audio L/R baseband cable. Matches white / red back panel connections.

Black RCA single cable. I suspect this is for the composite (yellow) video connection...

The Cogeco insert makes reference to a "SP/Diff" cable... The DC550D only has an optical (toslink) digital audio out, no coaxial SP/Diff connection.

Anyone else run into this and how did you resolve it... Go after the retail store for an optical cable or Cogeco and see what they say?

Sure, an optical cable can be bought, but why advertise that you'll get Dolby Digital surround and not provide the means to achieve this....

Cameron

See less See more
#2 ·
It's the standard bundle of cables included with all of Cogeco's receivers. The black RCA cable is actually for coaxial S/PDIF.

Optical S/PDIF and HDMI are not included. This is pretty much the industry standard except for products that only have HDMI output and such.

It's very unlikely that you will get an optical S/PDIF cable from Cogeco, they will likely tell you to use the analog audio cables. They definitely need to start including a different cable package with this receiver though.

The same applies to the Motorola DCX700 HD box; it only has optical output and it only includes a coaxial cable.

#3 ·
I can understand HDMI being optional as it's a more recent and maturing interface.

But the SP/Diff debacle is beyond comprehension.

I'll be glad to lend my very thick glasses to the person who looks at the back panels of these things and matches the appropriate cables for inclusion at Cogeco..... :)

Haven't authorized it yet... That's tomorrow. The instructions simply say to hook 'er up and let it rip. No phone calls... That's a different procedure than all the boxes we've had before.... Hmmmm... It was purchased at an authorized retailer, not a Cogeco storefront.

Cameron

#7 ·
57, that's why I ASSuMEd :) it was for the composite out, as black has been known to be used as a cable colour in some motherboards in desktop computers for S/PDIF connections.

If time permits, I'll be phoning and seeing if I can turn the light on at Cogeco...

Cameron

#9 ·
Bizarre HDMI & LG LCD issue

Here's a cute one, with a bizarre workaround.

STB is of course the Pace DC500D
TV: LG47450

TV has composite, component and HDMI 1&2 all set to "Set By Program" as the setting for the picture size. This causes HD material to fill the screen (no stretch) and SD to 4x3 (no stretch, no geometric distortion).

When component output is used, all works correctly. The TV sizes things accordingly and correctly.

When HDMI is used, SD is ALWAYS stretched, HD is as it should be. I found this really annoying. After a lot of experimentation I discovered that setting the "pillerbox" option to ON on the STB, the HDMI connection then worked correctly, SD and HD were then at normal proportions. If I then used the component outputs of the STB, the SD image was squashed horizontally, as it should be with the pillerbox option on. Obviously there's something amiss with the HDMI outputs on the STB. The HDMI-1 used for the Blu-Ray player works just fine..... My guess is it's the STB.

Unlike other threads here under Cogeco and the new Pace boxes, I don't have ANY audio issues with HDMI and the LG TV.

I suspect that at some point in the future this will be addressed in a subsequent software / firmware update when Cogeco gets around to officially supporting HDMI....

Cameron

#11 ·
Turn the box off, hit the menu button within 2 seconds. Select the option for CC. It's a pain, but that's how it goes. For HD, the CC must be done by the originating device, in this case the STB. If you want CC for SD only, if you set the Pace to passthrough 480i then the TV may be able to CC those signals, but not always, especially via HDMI.

#12 ·
57, tested that and CC isn't passed.

Here, with the DC550D, using the Cogeco remote, hit "Power", then "Settings" immediately, and a box menu shows up. Select "Closed Captioning" and follow the menus to set and configure it. It works here, but as you correctly mentioned, the STB usually has to do the legwork.

Our LG LCD does not pick up the CC from either the component or HDMI connections. It does pick up CC from the analogue stream directly tuned (not using the STB) and also picks up the CC if passed through our DVD recorder via it's analogue tuner.

Still trying to get the Descriptive Video to work.... So far, nada via the STB... Even when it's set to on in the Cogeco menu... Works via SAP on analogue though... :-(

Cameron

#13 ·
Bought this at Best Buy two weeks ago for $150 and (supposedly) the $150 programming credit, plugged it in today, called CS at Cogeco who confirmed I will get the programming credit which makes this a free HD box, if the credit shows up on my next monthly statement.

Not a bad deal at all!

The box has been activated and the color is good on my Pioneer PDP-5060HD plasma, too bad it doesn't show the HD resolution as the PVR Pace box.

#16 ·
57, the Pace DC500D is an all digital HD box, no analogue tuner. Our two other DCT-1800's (Moto SD boxes) both have analogue and digital tuners, and can and are allowed the 900+ stream of analogue channels, one of which is our security camera. The Pace will NOT tune the 900 series of channels, and I phoned Cogeco and confirmed that it indeed has only a digital tuner, thus no analogue pass-through or regurgitating analogue channels as digital ones, thus, no security camera either.

Also, as a side note, no closed captioning is passed either, but the box will decode and display that from the digital stream.

Cameron

#17 ·
Clarification, in my last post, I was talking about the settings in the STB which allow for example 480i signals to pass through without being converted to say 1080i. If you set the STB to pass these signals then the poster could see the "format" (720P, 1080i, etc) of the incoming signals on the "info" screen of his TV.

This has nothing to do with analogue and perhaps you were confusing my latest comment with CC or analogue when it was answering a question about formats (post 13). I have edited post 15 for clarity by adding the poster's name.

#18 ·
I have a quick question regarding this box.

Is the Cogeco PaceDC550D Non PVR model able to send a signal through HDMI and Component cables simultaneously?

The reason is I have an Elgato EyeTV HD box and I would like to connect it to so I could watch programs on tv as well as on my computer at the same time in HD (that way I can record on my computer if there is something I want to keep and archive). Could anyone tell me if this is a possibility?

I am able to do this on an older model, with one signal through coaxial cables to the tv and another through composite to the eyetv box to my computer.
I am a mac user and this seems to be creating some problems so from what I have read on-line eyetv is the easiest route to go, I just want to find a way to get an HD signal on my television and computer at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

#19 ·
Is the Cogeco PaceDC550D Non PVR model able to send a signal through HDMI and Component cables simultaneously?
Quick answer, yes. BUT, read my post #9 carefully. HDMI isn't OFFICIALLY supported by Cogeco, but works, just remember the Pillerbox option to fix the HDMI output, but it messes up component out.

They may some year figure it out........ :)

Cameron

#20 ·

Just noticed something a few days ago, it appears the aspect ratio of the HD prgramming materail is "flattened" a bit on this box when seen on a Pioneer 43" PDP-4360HD plasma TV, I haven't watched this TV very much which is now in the master bedroom since I moved it there a few months ago.

What clued me in, other than all the actors look "fatter" :) , was the CBC symbol at the lower right hand corner of channel 765, this should have been circular instead of slightly elliptical when the aspect ratio is correct as seen on the Panasonic 50" Vera plasma TV in combination with the PACE PVR I bought a few months ago.

I have gone through all the setting controls that I can find on both the TV and the STB without any luck, I had run through the "size" setting on the Pioneer control which was normally in the "HD Full" setting, however the only size setting that looked correct, i.e. the CBC symbol being perfectly round, is the "HD 4:3" setting, however this leaves a band on either side of the main image as if it is just the 4:3 format image in the material, even with the latest HD programming materials on new shows. I could not find any aspect or size adjustment menu with the PACE STB.

At some point I'm going to swap the PACE PVR downstairs and the regualr STB and see if the aspect ratio problem is in the PVR/STB or in the Pioneer TV which I have had for 5 years running on the old Moto PVR and never noticed the aspect ratio problem.

I wonder if anybody noticed this issue or have any ideas?

BTW, I am using HDMI connection, and wonder if post #9 is related?

Thanks

#21 ·
Magic?!

Well, noticed today that the aspect ratio problem I described above has now disappeared, the CBC symbol on channcel 765 is now normal so are all the other materials, so it now looks the same as my downstairs Panasonic which never exhibited this problem.

The only thing I can think of is a firmware change of the STB over the last few days, however I never paid attention to the f/w version so there is no way I can tell if the current f/w has been changed, or when.

#22 ·
Pace DC550D hanging up?

Hi Folks:

Need some help. First - how do you access the menu in the DC550D? I've misplaced the manual and know that it has something to do with a button sequence on the remote but can't remember.

Secondly, has anyone else had problems with their receiver hanging up or being otherwise generally unresponsive and useless?

I got mine in January at BestBuy for $150 < programming rebate which to their credit, Cogeco gave me anyway even though I was not a new subscriber (it pays to pay your bills on time apparantly). Have noticed for the past 2 months maybe, that I am getting a LOT of "channel unavailable" notices in HD channels which I have (basic HD channels), also getting poor sound via HDMI.

Switched HDMI cables and all seems to have improved but now the receiver simply hangs when switching between channels. I know I am on an HD channel but only the power light is on. And of course, the display from my projector says not HDMI signal. I cannot simply turn off and on the receiver again, I have to physically unplug the power from the wall, wait a few minutes, and then it comes on again - a hassle since it then has to rebuild the schedules.

Anyone else have similar issues and/or can provide me with the user menu set up sequence?

Thankis in advance for any help.

#26 ·
Secondly, has anyone else had problems with their receiver hanging up or being otherwise generally unresponsive and useless?
Yes, this happens to me. I've connected the box to my AV receiver via HDMI. The box appears to crash. There's no sound nor picture via the HDMI connection. I've also connected it through my DVD Recorder. When the box has "crashed", I am able to get sound via the DVD recorder and see the box's menu, but there is no video. I have to unplug the wall wart to get it to come back.

This only happens, so far, when switching from one HD channel to another. I haven't determined if it's caused by the box switching from 720p to 1080i (I've left all resolutions enabled by default) but there is a noticeable lag when this happens while the TV resyncs.

#23 ·
Anyone else have similar issues and/or can provide me with the user menu set up sequence?
Yes I've seen more than I cared instances of "this channel will be availabe shortly", mostly on the DC500D receiver upstairs, I did have a problem initially when I put the HD box upstairs, the amplified signal splitter I was using not adequate in some of the higher frequency bands Cogeco transmits their signals, the problem mostly went away as soon as I bypassed the signal splitter/amplifier, although I still occasionally get the channel will be available msg that I've never seen before with the Moto box, it's frustrating when I KNOW I should have the channel but the STB freezes up for a minute or so before allowing me to go to another channcel.

As for set-up, it's easy, presse the "sequence" button on your remote twice, then scroll all the way down past the initial set of menu options, you should then see the "set up" menu.

#24 ·
I believe that you can also access the setup by pressing power, then menu/settings within 2 seconds (on the STB or remote).

As for the "unavailable" channels, this can be caused by poor signal strength, S/N ratio:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21274

An inappropriate upstream device or poor connection can cause these problems since certain signals may not pass, or certain return signals to the head end may not pass: See the above FAQ, post 13. Temporarily remove upstream splitters, amps, etc to see if that fixes things. If not, call Cogeco and they can check your signal and channel lineup.

As for an operating manual, I would assume it could be downloaded from Cogeco's or Pace' website. Here's a link to most of them - the Pace one there may be useful. If the one you need is not there, contact Cogeco and have them e-mail you one, or place it on the list:

http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/support/user_guides_television.php

Here's the Pace link for the STB discussed in this thread. I assume that's what you're looking for:

https://www.pace.com/universal/support/pace-dc550d/

Here's a post useful for those new to this - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#25 ·
My 2 cents worth in passing

quote:Yes I've seen more than I cared instances of "this channel will be availabe shortly This would seem to be a common problem with Cogeco, you pay for certain packages and hope what you pay for is actually delivered. Not your faher's Cogeco for sure. sailmaker

#27 ·
FYI:

Our Pace DC550D has been rock solid, except for the bizarre need to use the pillerbox option with HDMI, which it might appear the latest firmware update might address. Ours hasn't been updated yet.

When an HD channel is being received, a very ominous bright blue LED indicates HD. For some reason, this doesn't dim when the LED dimming is selected. :-(

Insufficient server capacity seems to be our issue for VOD problems.

The Cogeco remote that came with it doesn't have a "sequence" button.

Cameron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.