Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Southland - Premiere

9K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  asif9t9 
#1 ·
Anyone else looking forward to this Premiere which is a new police drama based in LA?

It's replacing ER on Thursday Nights at 10pm and the Producer, John Wells, also produced ER and West Wing.

Early reviews indicate it's a notch above all other Police Drama's currently on TV.

First episode is this Thursday at 10pm.

#4 ·
It was pretty intense, which I liked. But it was overly serious, without much humour in it. And that speech that cop made about "this is the job, this is what we do" near the end -- that was a bit cheesy. I'm undecided if I'll keep watching.

cheers,
supervij

#6 ·
I also enjoyed Southland. Pretty intense. Too bad for all the "BLEEPS" come on. It is 10PM, and kids shouldn't be watching it. Kill the bad word censor. It appears that they plan to release this on DVD, so they are writing the script for a dvd release, and letting the censor play with the bleeper.

One of my favorite TV shows in the past dozen of so years was the CBC series Intelligence, and part of the reason the show was so good was the script was written using language that you would expect to hear in that life style, and line of work. Lets hope Southpoint does well in the ratings and we actually have a good show to watch. Something believable that takes realistic storyllines to the screen. Unlike the garbage the CSI franchise has been pumping out 3 times a week for the past 10 years. The only reason to watch CSI is to laugh at how bad it really is.

#8 ·
You can't swear on network television at all, can you, no matter what time a show airs at?

I also believe that they missed censoring out some words, including the anatomically referenced "A" word. Plus there were other words in their that you normally don't expect to hear on network television that weren't bleeped out. If I were to repeat these words in this thread, I'd probably get an infraction, so that's how serious they were.

This isn't HBO, this is NBC.

#10 ·
Good show, I'm looking forward to it developing. One thing that had us wondering was the two times when they asked the new guy if he was a Canadian? I didn't quite get it, but to me it sounded like it was an insult if he was. Did anyone else catch this? It sort of turned my wife off on the show already.

#15 ·
I think certain shots were done that way intentionally. I was very unimplressed and likely will not continue watching. I think the "Canadian" references were meant as an insult. As for the swearing, IMO, either allow it or don't put it in the show. The "beeping" out is lame.

#16 ·
I didn't find the jerky camera movement that bad or distracting in this show; while I've had people rave about Friday Night Lights, and it sounds very much like the type of show I'd really enjoy, the camera movement on that show is completely distracting to me, and I just focus on what the hell the director is trying to accomplish by moving the camera here. Then there. Then up. Then diagonally down a bit. Then subject centered, etc. etc. etc.... and forget to pay attention to what the characters are actually saying. Arghhhh.....

I'm gonna give Southland another look - it had something going on that I liked.

#21 ·
loved it!

I was a huge NYPD BLue fan and was so sad when it went off air. This show gave me that same feeling i got when Rick Shroder started his first season on NYPD. He seemed too young and boy like but i tell you he really fit in quick and made that show great again. Having experienced that once i went into this new show feeling optimistic as Benjamin McKenzie is even younger. It was a believable start to the series and look forward to this weeks show.

#22 ·
From:http://news-briefs.ew.com/2009/05/nbc-reportedly.html

'Southland': NBC reportedly picks up 13 episodes for fall
May 2, 2009, 12:42 PM | by Tanner Stransky

Categories: Television

According to reports in Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, NBC has picked up the John Wells cop drama Southland for 13 episodes, likely for a spot on the network's fall schedule. The drama has averaged 9.2 million viewers in its Thursday at 10 p.m. timeslot since debuting April 9. Next fall it will likely make the move to the 9 p.m. hour (not necessarily on Thursday night, unless NBC dismantles its comedy block) to make way for The Jay Leno Show, which will air Monday through Friday at 10 p.m. NBC execs are prepping for their "Infront" presentation this coming Monday, when they'll reveal their fall schedule to advertisers in New York. Because of that, news about several other on-the-bubble NBC shows -- like Chuck, Medium, Law & Order, My Name is Earl, and Parks & Recreation -- will be forthcoming.

#24 ·
I've started noticing this more the last couple of show's and it's getting annoying for me as well. Every other show on TV now seems to be doing this. I can understand the effect they're going for, but when it starts to distract you from what's happening on screen, it's too much. I guess they figure if a little shaking conveys excitement, then a lot of shaking must make it really exciting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.