Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Delta Cable (Eastlink in BC) Discussion

187K views 462 replies 85 participants last post by  Sandman905 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there had any experience with Delta's digital cable service ? I am trying to decide between that and Star Choice.

#80 ·
Check your QAM tuner specs

Delta Cable uses QAM 256 modulation, so most newer QAM tuners will auto-sense the source and adjust through QAM 64, QAM 128, and QAM 256 accordingly. If your tuner doesn't support QAM 256, that might be the reason some of you get no digital stations.

#84 ·
Ok I talked to a person who works for a cable company(not Delta Cable specifically). They said there is a possibility that the reason some of these channels are receivable in some area's and not others could possibly be an bandwidth issue in my and other areas. Nothing concrete, as I didn't have allot of time to talk to the person. But it's some thing that might cause this issue apparently.

I would try tuning in the channels I do not receive with some thing else, but this HVR-1800 is all I have to tune HDTV with at the moment :\

#86 ·
From a scan this afternoon:

55.1 CBLTDT
56.0 CBUTDT
56.2 CIVTDT
58.6 CHAN
58.7 FOODC
58.9 TSN-Alternate Feed
64.0 CTFODT

So, all of the US network channels have gone missing for me.

I was able to identify 58.9 only because I also rent Delta's box so I can record shows on their premium channels.

#87 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm down to basically CTV and CBC... I think I'll have to make the jump to the box, luckily I've been able to hold out for about a year :)

Currently I notice Delta Cable is running a promo on their HD PVR for $399... and something about $100 in programming credits and free installation. I saw this ad running on A&E recently so I will have to call and inquire about it.

Edit... So I just phoned and that promo requires you to sign up for their mega entertainment pack for 6 months. Outlined below.

All this for just $54.32 per month!

· Full Value Cable (Basic Cable, and Value Paks 1,2,3)
· 4 movie channels from Movie Central
· 4 Superstations
· 40 Digital Music Channels -commercial free CD-quality
· Interactive Program Guide
· Access to pay-per-view movies and events
· Access to over 30 “Pick & Pay” channels
· Up to 3 additional cable outlets

Sign-up now, and when you buy your Digital Cable Converter (or HD PVR), you'll get up to $100 in programming and installation credits. The offer includes:

· Free Installation
· Your 1st month Free - Mega Entertainment Package
· 6 Free pay-per-view movies

The lady basically told me that signing up for that for 6 months allows me to purchase a HD PVR at $399... then I can do as I want after the 6 months and go back to just the basics. Since I already pay $40/month for the basic and value pack 1-3.... this seems like a decent deal to me. I also recall her saying the first two months were free with purchase. Guess I will have to make my decision shortly.

#88 ·
Yes, we've had the "mega entertainment pack" for more than a year. When you combine that with dccnet we give Delta Cable a fair amount every month. I'm annoyed that they're trying to make it difficult for me to use my pvr of choice (MythTV). The software and storage space they offer with their bundled pvr is inferior.

We have a rooftop antenna, but in our neighborhood we can only pull in CBC, and sometimes CTV. CBC HD OTA is very, very nice; better signal than Delta Cable provides, but it's only one station.

#89 ·
Can someone tell me what my options are for getting HD channels in delta are? (both legal and other). I'm trying to decide whether the cost justifies making the jump to HD. Can i find a used HD box from a different cable company and use that? What are my options please...thanks

#90 ·
Is HD worth it?

I'm trying to decide whether the cost justifies making the jump to HD.
It depends on your display, I would think. If you have a decent HD capable display, it's just hard to watch SD material on it.

In our neighborhood, Sunbury, we only really get CBC over the air in HD, but Global is supposed to start broadcasting an HD signal on April 18th. CTV's signal is so weak that it's just about useless to us (unreliable for recording ... we don't watch live tv). A simple rooftop antenna is a worthwhile investment, even for one channel, it will only get better.

We also get all of the HD sports and movie channels that Delta Cable offer, it's worth it to us, YMMV.

#91 ·
I phoned delta cable and asked how i could get JUST the HD channels. The lady told me two options. Get the HD PVR for $399 and subscribe to mega entertainment pack (too expensive in my opinion) or I could go to FS and buy an HD receiver. Delta cable currently DOES NOT encrypt their HD channels. So anyone know where I can buy an HD receiver for cheap?

#92 ·
bcbud3 said:
Delta cable currently DOES NOT encrypt their HD channels.
If the Delta Cable gal told you that, she is wrong. DCC does indeed encrypt most of their HD channels, with just a handful of Clear QAM signals out there, depending on which part of Delta you are in.

The reason that some of the commercial cable boxes from stores will work on their system is that those boxes do the DES decryption internally in their chipset.

Good luck with your plans, but you will have to pay DCC to watch most or all of the HD channels.

#97 ·
I see that Global TV (CHAN) is up on channel 168 today. However, the feed is distinctly not HD. Hopeful sign though! :D

I see I never came back and posted when I bought the Motorola 6416 PVR and signed on for the Mega Pack but didn't go for any of the digital option packs. What a deal! Only $3.50 more per month than I was paying before which was also inclusive of my cable internet. I'm loving the PVR - just wish it had a 320G hard drive instead of 160G.

One thing we're finding is that we're saving money on DVD rentals as we use the PVR to record movies off the two Movie Central channels to watch later. So we're saving about three rentals a month + auto fuel and the image quality is better off the MC feeds than using my upconverting DVD player.

#99 ·
As you said, it was the content. The News Hour was SD. Later on Numbers was on in HD. At the moment they have a bunch of identification text that stays locked in position in the lower left - it tells you that it is CHAN, channel 22, and a bit more. I'm worried about temporary image retention on my plasma.

#101 ·
HD Channel problems

Been having many issues lately with DC. Sound dropping or changing from 5.1 to 2.0, back and forth back and forth. And even worse, forgetting to flip the switch after programs are simsubbed. For example, Hell's Kitchen was missing on 174 because someone/thing forgot to flip the switch. Consequently, we had Dancing with the Stars on KOMO/ABC West, CIVT (BC CTV) AND FOX! What is going on here?? This is the 3rd week in a row now for the Hells Kitchen issue. I have called twice now to register a complaint...not happy hear in Delta since the buyout by Persona/Eastlink.

#102 ·
A couple of weeks ago, I recorded Numbers in HD but ended getting audio for the NIP/TUCK show while the Numbers video was recorded. There seems to a lot of audio dropouts since mid January.

Also the last three episodes on Sophie on CBCHD were scheduled to be recorded but ended up with Little Mosque.

Don't know if this an Eastlink/Persona issue or their programming, but hopefully this will be resolved soon.

#105 ·
Consider yourself lucky. I scanned this morning and found CIVTDT back up on 67.0 (it was missing the last time I scanned). CBLTDT (55.1) and CBUTDT (56.0) have always been there. There was something on 58.2, but I couldn't get a lock. Even these few stations help with resolving recording conflicts, but it's nowhere near what it was a year ago.

#106 ·
Horizon Comms has been working all through the Sunshine Hills area installing
something. I saw 2 guys with an in ground vault open and some big thick new
cable hanging out of the hole. Both guys on their knees working away.

I've noticed the cable cutting out for short periods....sometimes 1/2 second
other times 2-3 minutes.

Upgrading for more HDTV channels? VOIP?

Heaven forbid 10mbps Internet? :D

FaxCap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.