Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Such a thing as a GH/Yagi Hybrid?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  300ohm 
#1 ·
A question out of topic a bit.
Do you know if anybody experimented with GH-Yagi hybrid antenna?
I mean somethin like Yagi in mounting but with all directors and reflector built as classic GH (or possibly as ZZ4)?

#3 ·
I've played around with directors for the GH. (that's how I discovered the NAROD, heh) It seems like the best directors for the GH is another GH element, and you need like 5 to make a noticeable difference in gain. This of course makes the build fairly difficult and pricey.

#4 ·
Thanks for quick answer guys.
Yes, something like that. I tried to build it with 3 GH elements (classic 7") but of course with 3, my reception did not improve much. Yes, it is a lot of work and it is difficult to keep consistent in construction. I used 2.5" spacing between elements and 5" from active element to reflector (aiming for real channel 23 - ION is a bit elusive in Hamilton area).
In spite of construction, size and cost issues, I wonder if there is a potential here?

#7 ·
Great minds think a like

I had sort of the same idea except to make the antenna bi- directional with UHF on the front side and VHF on the rear with its own down lead and an AB switch to pick which side you used. Is this workable or would a set of elements behind the reflector/directors fudge the gain on the front side?

#8 ·
to make the antenna bi- directional with UHF on the front side and VHF on the rear
Actually, you can do that now WITHOUT the A-B switch with the original GH with straight NARODs for a range of about 3 vhf-hi channels.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=99907

Notice the channel 7 and 8 gain is stronger on the backside for the 28" straight NAROD.

UHF gain from the front and VHF-hi gain from the rear could be further optimized on it, but there hasn't really been any demand for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.