Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

EastLink 2012 New Channels discussion

118K views 530 replies 43 participants last post by  greenshadow 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Eastlink in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Eastlink has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces 2011: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=134522

#224 ·
It's likely Eastlink, Rogers and others are simply waiting for contracts to end, and get renewed. So i'm thinking we won't see Bell HD channels appearing until after they re-sign with BELL . Bell doesn't carry FX Canada so Rogers has some negotiating power. I still think its absurd to even have to negotiate HD carriage, it should be nothing more than an added customer benefit included with the SD channel.

#225 ·
Doesn't Rogers already have a deal with Bell?

IIRC, Cogeco, EastLink, MTS and a whole bunch of small providers are the ones involved with the waste of time trying to get the CRTC involved.:rolleyes:

#227 ·
Unfortunately, I don't think CTV2HD being added has nothing to do with a deal. I'm speculating, 'cause I don't know. Maybe Bell let them have it as a sign of "good faith". After all, CTV2 is a broadcast network. Well, in Atlantic Canada it technically isn't but it is a must carry for all providers out there.

God knows when it will happen, we all need to push Bell to make a deal, not just EastLink.

#228 ·
I agree with denben73, and think that the addition of CTV2 in HD has nothing to do with the Bell Media situation. It only became available because the local version of CTV2, the Halifax station(formerly ASN, then A, then CTV2), went HD at around the same time.

For all intensive purposes, I have lost all faith that Eastlink and Bell Media will ever come to an agreement. It will be interesting to see if Bell Aliant, which is partially owned by Bell(and I repeat partially), can reach an understanding with Bell in the months to come.

In other stuff, has anyone noticed that the addition of new channels to Eastlink's lineup has REALLY slowed down lately? We have just had yet another rate increase, and frankly, I was hoping that at least part of that increase would be used to finely reach an agreement with Bell. Also, I am surprised to see that Eastlink is not picking up National Geographic Wild, a Shaw owned channel.

#236 ·
Eastlink TV will begin televising local programming in HD this July when the company launches a new community HD channel, available exclusively to Eastlink customers.

Eastlink's local HD coverage will be broadcast on channel 610 beginning this summer with coverage of the Eastlink Premiership soccer league, and will continue with next season's Quebec Major Junior League games, National Basketball League (NBL) featuring the Halifax Rainmen and Atlantic University Sport (AUS) football featuring Acadia, Saint Mary's University, Mt. Allison, and St. FX.

Press release.

#238 ·
Good to hear about Teletoon HD making its way there. Looks like we are finally starting to get some of the recently added HD content our way.:)

Nothing new up here yet, but I have to say I'm kind of stunned that Much HD is only showing up in Sudbury now. We've had that since last September.:eek:

#240 ·
Something I found RE: the dispute with Bell Media

Application for Final Offer Arbitration pursuant to Sections 12 to 15 of the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations with respect to a dispute relating to the renewal of affiliation agreements between the Canadian Independent Distributors Group and Bell Media. Inc.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/lt120524.htm

#241 ·
Thank you for posting that, denben73, and somehow, I missed that from the CRTC. Some of the dates have already passed, but the actual hearing date, scheduled for June 29th, may finally set out terms, and hopefully, Eastlink will actually sign with Bell. That date is just over two weeks away.

#242 ·
David, you're welcome.:)

You know it's been 2 months since the last group of HDs were added, well for NS customers anyways. For us, the last one was 4 months ago (I had to really go far back into this thread) it was 631 Peachtree. It's even further back than I thought it was.

The last thing I heard for us was that the missing HD was scheduled to be added in June. No year was given.;)

I asked about TWN in HD again, they said they'd check and get back, I asked a day later if there was any news...got ignored. I guess that means NO!

I do like EastLink, but they love keeping every customer in the dark about EVERYTHING. Like they couldn't even say "More HD coming this month!" or anything like that.

#243 ·
Yesterday's newsletter mentioned the missing HD channels are now available in Ontario. There is nothing showing up here. Any get them yet?

We love HD as much as you do. And that's why our goal is to launch every HD channel available to give you the best possible TV experience!

After some technical upgrades, we have now added new HD channels, including Food Network HD, Peachtree HD, APTN HD, MuchMusic HD, W Movies HD, Teletoon HD, ABC Spark HD, BBC World News HD, Canal D HD, RDI HD and VRAK TV HD!

For a full list of available channels in your area, please check your local channel guide.
We already had Peachtree, Food Network, APTN, MuchMusic and W Movies...missing Teletoon and the ones after it.

#246 ·
My understanding, doppelganger399, is that the dispute mainly applies to new HD channels from Bell, such as Space HD and Discovery HD. However, I am sure that there are implications for existing ones as well, and if the agreement isn't signed, there could be channel losses in the future.

#248 ·
My understanding, thenewdc, is that some contracts have already expired, and that Eastlink (and other CIDG members) are carrying some of the Bell channels "out of contract" until new terms are agreed upon. I understand this from reading some of the disputes put before the CRTC back in March, when the first set of hearings were held.

One of the items of contention put forward to the CRTC was high interest charges and penalties, up to 20% of the net value of the contract, which were being demanded by Bell, for any out of contract channels being carried by the CIDG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.