Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

AB - Edmonton, Northern Alberta - OTA

275K views 770 replies 134 participants last post by  conanford 
#1 ·
I was doing some searching yesterday and found out that all three main networks (Global, CTV, CBC) will be starting to brodcast in HD this summer in most magor citys in Canada. Does anyone trhink that Shaw will be forced to cary them in HD? Does the CRTC have any control over this? Another question is will we be able to get the signal over the air in places like Edmonton?

#225 ·
Edmonton: U of A

I'm currently living at the University in HUB, Edmonton. I face directly west and there is no balcony. I need to make or purchase an indoor antenna that I can use to receive Global, and I heard CityTV is available now as well (but in testing?). I also read on this site that CFRN is applying to broadcast their HTDV signal over VHF-HI. Is this correct? I only mention this because it may play into a recommendation for building an antenna.

I don't have much space. A whopping 275 sq feet in total. I purchased a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 that has NTSC and ATSC connections and I'm using that in conjunction with my computer. Again I don't have much space, there's not even enough room for both a computer and TV.

I have all the proper tools one would need to build an antenna. Wire strippers, 18V cordless drill, screwdrivers, soldering iron, etc.

My TV Fool results are listed here, maybe that will help.

So the question is, what type of antenna should I build? There is a lot of jargon used on this site that I really don't understand. I'm hoping veterans of this site can help me narrow down my choice(s). The search function is great but provided overwhelming information.

I will post the results of this to the other students on our local mailing list. So really by helping me you are helping a lot of students!

#226 ·
Hi aeolus, I've moved your post into the thread covering Edmonton, so scan through it to get an idea of common OTA reception. After that, look through the links in this post: Best Do-It-Yourself OTA Antennas - see these links and also check out the Antenna Chart for the best commercial options.

As you're looking at antennas keep in mind that you need one that is capable of VHF-HI (7-13) and UHF (14-69) in order to get today's digital and analogue stations as well as the digital ones of the future even after the analogue stations are shut down.

#227 ·
@Aeolus

Bad news is your facing the wrong direction which means the tv signals have to travel thru the apartment walls to get to you. Good news is you are pretty close to the tv towers so you should be able to get reception. How good will it be? That's hard to tell because the signals could bounce off several walls and buildings causing ghosting.

You could try the indoor biquad antenna which can be found in the link stampeder posted. Direct link here, I posted some tips about figuring out what kind of reception you can get in an apartment as well.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124542

It's a UHF antenna but you'll be able to receive 9,11,13 easily (I can with this antenna) because you are close

Anything marked LOS in the tvfool you'll be able to get. The ones 2edge most likely not because they are too far away and you are on the wrong side of the building facing west.

Hope this makes sense.

#228 ·
It makes a load of sense. Global's antenna isn't too far from me so I'm not too worried about it. I purchased a DB-2 antenna on ebay for a good price and I'm going to leave my outside window open and mount it in between the back pane and screen. I will likely use a block of wood or two to lift it up just so it doesn't touch any metal. Any gap in the window left from a cable will just get sealed with some foam. I can remove the foam before I move out. I still have another window I can open so that isn't an issue.

However if CFRN gets approval for a VHF-HI signal I won't be able to receive it correct? Perhaps it is time to lobby.

#230 ·
CKEM-DT

I was able to pick up the CKEM test feed last night with my Hauppauge stick and laptop hooked up to my Mom's ANT on the roof. The Hauppauge signal meter had an impressive 27 without even properly pointing the ANT. The loop is pretty small, only about 15 minutes or so. I can't wait until this goes live!! Am I allowed to post a picture?

#242 ·
CFRN Update

I e-mailed CFRN again and this is the response I was given. It is looking like things are on track:
We are currently completing upgrades to our main tower. Equipment will be ordered in the next few months, then installation after that. We are still looking at next May. When we do cut over, analog will be gone and we will only be broadcasting DTV over the air.

#245 ·
I wonder if they are converting their Lo Band M series transmitter for Hi Band
DTV usage?? It seems ominous that CFRN is turning off the Analog signal before they have to! I also wonder if this is really a "Flash cut"?

I have visited the CFRN tower with the old 609 Kw ERP antennas. These arrays have massive panels and I can imagine that taking them down to replace the top stack is no mean task!

Maybe Mike FM can help answer the above?? :)

#247 ·
Yes - It appears that they have almost completed the mast work! So channel 3 with it's grandfathered superpower ERP is over it seems! Where did the technical brief appear? Sounds like they are planning that portable receivers will more easily be able to pickup the signal on their rabbit ears.

#248 ·
I thought I've covered this before but .. I guess not.
The object of removing the top half of CFRN is to keep channel 3 operational.
If anyone will be removing their signal, it's CITV because RF will be feeding back into the new antenna making it almost impossible for us to do tests.
There was never any mention of CFRN flash cutting.

#249 · (Edited)
Back to the CFRN technical brief, under item 3.1:

It is proposed that Channel 12R be utilized as the post transition DTV channel for the existing Edmonton CFRN-TV after August 31, 2011.
So it will be a flash cut … just not until the deadline.
BTW, the brief is downloadable from the CRTC website, linked from the application announcement here:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-319.htm#7
Just click on the application number and a ZIP file should start loading.