Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc

479K views 2K replies 323 participants last post by  faston 
#1 ·
Our Shaw Customer Service - Good and Bad - Post Comments Here thread has gotten out of hand. Very little Good, lots of rants that are off-topic so a new thread has been created to allow folks to rant about Shaw.

Now, c'mon get it off your chest.

If you have a problem with Shaw, then lets hear about it.

#817 ·
First question stopped me there. I did not purchase this one direct from Shaw or from a dealer. It's for very occasional use and was from a private seller.;)
Anyway, called later and after a little over .5 hours got it done.

The point I tried to make was that the announcement was 2 hour wait and then ' with you shortly' was said.....You know that was a nice link you provided but your system is what was ridiculous ...2 hours...shortly...within a few seconds of each other. What part don't you get! That's the point and if no one at Shaw understands then it's .......

Your customer calling system needs a few conditional statements added ie. If statement wait time is > 20 minutes then offer callback or recommend customer call back, else say ' will be with you shortly' .
Anyway all's well that ends well. :)

#819 ·
Same reason they no longer list Basic Cable or Classic cable I suppose. Though they still offer HD plus (if you had an older plan) they choose to market Personal TV, Best of HD, etc. Sort of like two years ago they really didn't market just basic cable on their website but always the complete package including HD Plus.

By the way I currently have Basic Digital cable and HD Plus. I asked if, in theory, I could switch Basic Digital Cable to the new Personal TV and but still keep HD Plus. The answer is no. I would have to elect Best of HD to go with Personal TV.

My thinking was to save money because I thought Personal tv was something like $27. Didn't realize it had gone up to $35 so little savings anyway.

#820 ·
Shaw EXO is terrible. Nothing but a price increase from what I see and once again Shaw is refusing to add channels people want. Its like they dont have anyone working there who actually knows what new channels are out there. They waste space by adding ABC Spark yet drop Dusk, HDnet among others yet wont add FX Canada, Global Reality or Hollywood Suite. They are lucky here in N Ont where we only have overpriced Bell garbage. Im waiting for Vianet tv here or someone else to come in here yet Shaw wouldnt care if they lost every sub here because they would just overcharge their customers more to make up the difference.

#823 · (Edited)
What is with the constant prices increases? I was (and still) on Basic Cable and HD Plus with BB50 which is $127. I was going to switch to the personal tv with $15 home phone because Best of HD was $20. My bill would have been $120 but I missed that boat. It went to $136 but I didn't switch because I got free home Phone in December for 3 months. That's over now and the Personal TV internet phone bundle is now $149.90. What is going on at Shaw? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to cancel the Phone.

edit: ok looks like personal tv went up ten dollars and BB50 is now 65 bundled. This is silly.

#824 ·
I agree 100% with LEGEND4EVA SHAW is gouging it's customers.THEY add five new HD CHANNEL'S.change YOUR tv packages and add channels that are crap charge you twice as much and EXO! YOU GO ? OUT THE DOOR! WE need more competition in cable.ONLY three major companies in Canada and the customer get stiffed.Shaw wouldnt care if they lost every sub here because they would just overcharge their customers more to make up the difference.

#825 ·
I bought a new digital box so I could get Sportsnet World HD, hooked it up and it won't activate. Old Pace box worked perfectly fine in that location, but the new Motorola won't get a signal. So now, I have to wait for a service call Tuesday. It's Saturday now. Luckily for me, I never expect anything with Shaw to work right the first time.

#826 ·
Hmm every shaw box I've had has worked first time... they on occasion had to hit it a couple times but it did work... same with the modems...

I'm not getting 50 on the download but close... only about 2.8 on the upload even though I am supposed to get 5 but it is good enough for me... I suspect my area is not 5gb up ready even though they say it is

I just wish they let you add single channels for say 2 bucks a month... I hate having to buy a load of crap just to get 1 channel...

I hear the pace were crap... the motorolas I've had have worked well enough for me... although sometimes on the playback with the DCT it wont play sound.. so I rewind a few seconds and it comes back

if the pace worked fine... I dunno why the Motorola wouldn't.... I'd call back to see if another "tech" with a little more brain power can figure out how to go though the correct steps...

I know shaw hires morons from time to time... I worked for them for almot 5 years and a good 70% of the people they hired were complete morons... you just have to try again at a different time of day and you may get lucky and get a better tech...

#827 ·
Ppaatt, Nothing personal but are you sure you connected the coax to the correct connector on the back of the box? I have done this before and felt pretty silly when the tech showed up to point it out.

#829 ·
Jetranger: Good point about the cables actually. That's always the first thing to check. I'm pretty sure they're right. There was a little activity, but I'll check again.
Frequency re-set? Sounds technically beyond me, but I will Google it.
Thanks for the suggestions. If I have any success, I'll post again.

#832 ·
Problem fixed

Took gzink's idea and called again. Got a really helpful and patient technician today, who narrowed the problem down to a splitter that takes one connection out of the wall to my modem and the other to this digital box. Between the time I'd disconnected my old PVR and hooked up the new one (what an hour? half an hour?), one side of the splitter had decided to die.

#834 ·
Saw a 10/10/10 deal from Telus in another forum. $10 for 15mbps internet ($15 for 25mbps), $10 for Optik TV essentials, and $10 for home phone + 1 calling feature. No contract required. So I wondered what Shaw could do about that deal. Went on the online chat couple times, all CSRs told me they don't do "matching", pointed out the after deal prices, and basically told me Shaw is superior to Telus (faster internet speeds, no contracts...). I decided to call the loyalty/retention department. In a minute or so, I got a CSR and asked him to transfer me to the loyalty department. After being put on hold for 40 minutes, I told the rep that I'm switching to Telus because of a deal they have. The rep let out a sigh and asked for my account details. Without even listening to the deal, he proceeded to basically yell to me about how I won't get any promos, Telus is inferior...

I have broadband 50 and used to have broadband 100, but I only get 20-30mbps download. A tech came to my house once and said everything was okay.

#836 ·
I feel Shaw is pushing the envelope to see how much their subscribers can bear. Good luck with that, with the economy and people losing their jobs. Their product might be superior, (debatable) but that doesn't necessarily translate into more subscribers.

If they catered to the more tech savvy crowd the do-it yourselfers, hands down I would be shouting from the rooftops for all that could hear that they are the best but since they are only interested in being a me too company and squandering all the advantages of cable over the competition, they are nothing but a me too company to me. I voted with my wallet making the choice to go completely OTA. Once you are without cable for a while, you don't miss it, other things take its place.

P.S.

The advantages I'm referring to are:

CableCARD
Clear QAM
TiVO HD
All the other home brew systems that tech savvy people love to use and would be even more special if cable operators in this country would oblige.

#840 ·
Uuuuhg.

So I had to return an Extender today. The Shaw office here sucks! (Always has.) There is always a line up right to, if not outside the door, and at the very least, a 1 hour wait depending on how many agents are on. (Never enough to fill all booths though, no matter how many people are there.)

They opened 2 new offices on the the island. That was supposed to "fix this issue". HA! Ok.

So I show up, at 8:20, 10 minutes before they open. There was one man walking up to line up at the door. By the time I locked my bike right beside the door, 2 more people had crawled out of their cars and got in line ahead of me. 4 more appeared within 5 minutes right behind me. They are still not even open yet, and the line grows.

So, I go in. It takes about 4 minutes for me to get to talk to the rep. We go through the motions and right at the end, he mentions he only has enough money to cover what they owe me, leaving him with no float. (He was going to do it.) The women beside him tells him not to give it to me so he has a float. I was asked to come back. *blink blink* Waaa? Really?

I damn near lost it. "I am not coming back to stand in that" as I turn and point to the lineup now going out the door. (It's been open for 10 minutes. This is a daily occurrence at this office.) "I came this early to avoid exactly that"!

Funny how a multi-million dollar company can't seem to give their reps enough of a float to allow for return of the items they sell. If you sell a $500 gateway, you better be able to take the return, at all times!! Not when it's convenient for them.

So, now I have to bike back out there this after noon. Thankfully the guy said when he sees me I wont have to wait in the line, but I still have to make an unnecessary trip. I'll be contacting a manager shortly to complain directly. This is BS from a company of this size.

I just had $11.xx credited to my account for my poor internet reception for a week. Due to a tech removing the MoCa filter, saying it was no longer needed. Wrong! The tech that came to fix it, after telling him of this, put a filter in the box outside, and my internet was immediately back to 10MB down.

Wonder what this inconvenience is worth, a free movie maybe? Whatever it is, I want it. I'm done with the kid glove treatment with this company. (Read: Bending over and....) I intend to make sure I get my money's worth. If it means complaining about every little thing, I will!

Now, I'm off to deal with Shaw. Joy. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.