Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

bb50/bb100 upload speeds

49K views 163 replies 62 participants last post by  dcstager 
#1 ·
back when bb50/bb100 were announced, the info page said that upload speeds would be increased to 5 and 10mbps respectively, starting in august.

not only has this not happened (as far as i can tell), they have removed all mention of this.

has anyone heard from shaw on this?

does anyone happen to have a screen capture of the original info?

#4 ·
Well, I'm not really trying to compare speeds... my Upload speed is clearly 5mbps (usual speed test between 4.2-4.9mbps), they said they'd be upgrading to 10mbps.

Has anyone been upgraded? I suspect not, as you really have to dig to even find mention of it on their site.

#5 ·
The upload speed change will happen when the digital network upgrade is completed in your area. This should be complete for most area's by August 2012. If you are curious about your area you should be able to call Shaw and find the expected completion date for your hubsite.

#19 ·
I did the same thing as you in terms of upgrade. I also experienced the exact same problems later that night, with the exact same speeds (the speeds being still the same as my previous high speed internet)

I called up shaw support and they looked into it, and literally all they had to do was flick a switch and boom my speeds were at broadband 50 literally in seconds.

I suggest calling them as it could be something simple as them just "turning it on"

That's what happened to me, I hope your situation is similar to mine. Let us know how your situation goes!

Hope I could help you a bit!

#10 ·
@mr_donk Your suspicion is wrong ;) Quite clearly in your linked pdf it states that phase 2 will begin to roll out in the Fall 2011. This in fact happened as planned and is a year long process. It was never positioned as all the country all at once in the fall.

Several areas have been already upgraded to BB250 capability. Shaw customers will receive a letter prior to their area upgrade (usually 30 days before) with details.

I can tell you areas in Alberta such as Airdrie and City of St Albert (completed Sept/Oct), Leduc, Nisku (Nov), parts of Edmonton (10's of thousands of homes passed capability December 8th), Edson (today - few thousand homes) and a chunk of Calgary just got upgraded this week. There are similar storied across the country. In the larger cities we are doing a neighbourhood at a time.

Couple of speed tests:
BB250 Selkirk BC
BB100 Post Upgrade Winnipeg

#15 ·
This is a timely thread for me. I have a tech coming tomorrow to figure out what is going on with my new BB50. I have download speeds of 38-45 mbps and 2.75 upload using Shaw's speed test, which I am fine with but I tried speedtest.net and got 3.78 mbps download. Upload was the same as Shaw. Speakeasy was 17 mbps and Rogers was 12, uploads for both saw no change from Shaw site. The upshot is that my download speeds are way down. I did this because I was downloading a digital copy movie through ITunes from Universal (Cowboys and Aliens - 1.66 gb) and it took over 90 minutes to complete. The download was getting so bad the amount of time actually started going up half way through the process. I live in Thunder Bay and the system is supposedly fiber. I also have the cisco bridged through my Dlink 825 which has dual channels. The computer is connected via cable and not a wifi connection. Any suggestions for my approach to the tech coming tomorrow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.