Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion

266K views 452 replies 109 participants last post by  gzink 
#1 ·
Please use this thread to discuss installation and setup issues relating to the Shaw Gateway (Whole-home PVR by Arris).

#382 ·
Gateway Pics

Just realized I could actually post a pic of where/how my Gateway was installed. so here it is.

1. Gateway on the wall - http://digitalhome.ca/forum/picture.php?albumid=986&pictureid=5271

2. Cable and splitters going to Gateway, Portals and everywhere else - http://digitalhome.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=986&pictureid=5270

Keep in mind that all of this was a "retrofit". The leviton box was put in a few years ago when I pulled in new RG6 cable. Yes I'd prefer to have the splitters fastened inside the box - but at least I can close the door). Ya... no extender. Yet.

#383 ·
What a mess

@cudtz
Whoever the installer was on that, they should be ashamed of themselfs..
Both the amp and the splitters should be mounted to the back plane and the cables should have been dressed into place...
Very poor workmanship there.
But I guess there probably should have been a backboard (piece of plywood) in there in the 1st place anyway.
I suspect the installer was afraid to drill into the back of the metal box..
Still ugly as all get go...

#386 ·
Quick question guys.

I'm not using 1 of my portals in a spare bedroom. If I unplug it for an extended period of time and plug it back in when needed, do I need to do anything for it to be recognized?

The gateway will still be running for the other 3 portals.

I know for the DCTs sometimes you need to re-activate them if it has been disconnected for some time.

#389 ·
Since Shaw doesn't allow self-installs of Gateway systems, the answer would have to be yes. The usual caveats to buying used Shaw gear apply, though, i.e., get the serial numbers and just double check them with Shaw to ensure that the gear is neither stolen nor otherwise unusable with Shaw.

#390 ·
There should be no problem with getting Shaw to install a 'used' Gateway system. There was a reply to this effect from a Shaw spokesperson here too and I can't find it at the moment either but it was specified.

The oldest Gateway equipment would only be about a year old and would still have 2 years of warranty left so be sure to look into that 'expiry date' when you contact Shaw to book your install.

#391 ·
Gateway not working after storm

We recently had a big storm and right after my gateway/portals stopped working. However, they were all plugged in to battery backups and surge protectors. The main gateway was plugged in to a surge protector along with my shaw modem, and voice modem. The shaw modem and voip modem work fine.

I have replaced the MoCA filter, and the problem persists. When I go on the portal local network status it says it can connect to the local network fine, but that it failed to get DNS for the internet connection. This is where it is wierd, sometimes after I power cycle the gateway I get a DNS address of 192.168.x.x, and sometimes I get what looks more like an external one 10.x.x.x. Regardless of which one I get it fails to work.

I talked at length with a very good tech in Calgary (he got me to replace the MoCA filter with one I picked up at the local shaw branch), and he said there were tons of errors coming up in his logs (millions), he said the gateway may have to be replaced, or that the line coming in to my place may be shot (but it can't be that because that same line delivers the internet/voip fine.) If I hook up the same line going from one portal directly in to the TV it works for the lower channels fine. Is there anything else I can do besides wait the 9 days for the service call? I'm guessing that I will have to have the gateway replaced? Not digging watching the olympics in standard def old peasant vision style.

#392 ·
It does sound like your Gateway may have taken a hit through the coax. Only a tech equipped with the proper MoCA tester will know for certain and all you will likely get is a guy who will just swap out your Gateway. Either way, you are likely going to lose any content you had recorded. It would be nice to know for certain that that is necessary rather than just having to accept it but it's typical of most field techs that aren't supplied with the necessary test equipment; not really their fault.

#394 ·
Medai Gateway ??? disable screen saver

Hi Folks;
My cable provider has installed a Home Media Gateway MG5125G server with 2 clients the problem is that when watching TV the gateway will go into screen saver mode if you dont use the remote frequently. Does anyone knowe how to disable the screen saver modes of change them. The manual only states they exist and does not say how to modify them.
Thanks!

#395 ·
If your system is the one offered by Shaw, the screen saver is not currently adjustable or switchable. It shouldn't come on for about 12 hours now so if you are with Shaw, maybe you don't have the latest firmware installed yet. I would be surprised if that was the case but we haven't had the issue with the 'screen saver' since the current code was pushed out.

#396 ·
Hello everyone, I'm having 1 gateway and 3 portals installed tomorrow as well as home phone, just wondering if I should anticipate any issues? Also do my new internet/phone modems and gateway need to be in close proximity or not an issue?

I'm just trying to figure out where everything should be installed, I'm thinking utility/laundry room but I guess the Shaw tech's should be able to figure out a good location.

#399 ·
Has anyone been able to hunt down any sort of user manual for this thing? I've been GoogleHunting for hours trying to track one down. How can one not exist?

In particular I am trying to figure out if there is any way to power the MP2000 down without having to unplug it. Does anyone know? Is there seriously no power switch on this stupid thing? I want to double up on some inputs to an older TV.

#400 ·
There is a rudimentary manual that was available on the Shaw website.

As for powering down the Portals, it can't be done unless you pull the plug. They only draw 7-11 watts and need to be 'on' for updates, etc. from the 'mother ship' back at ARRIS.

#402 ·
From another thread:
...does this procedure have to be done on our other portal as well, or do the settings on this portal somehow get transferred to the other portal? (You know what I want to hear.) Also, if the portals lose power, does this procedure have to be done yet again? (Again, you know what I want to hear.)
... is there any way to get rid of the small preview window, or whatever you call it, when using the guides?
To be honest, I don't remember but the easiest way to find out is to go and check the other Portal. Any 'settings' you put in are not lost when the unit is powered off or unplugged so no worries there. As for the 'preview window', it's a 'feature' we wanted for a long time so I'm pretty sure it's not going away. I do know that you will see it as an option if Shaw ever moves their new HD Guide to the Gateway.

#403 ·
The following is a quote from this thread:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1474568&postcount=45

Your install does look very clean and from the picture I can see the arrangement of the splitters and the MoCA filter are as they should be. No surprise there as they have been doing these installs for quite a while now so this is good.

You did try and point us to a better place for the discussion and I should have taken it, my bad.

This might be a better place to continue:
Shaw Gateway: Installation and setup discussion

I'll answer your questions there.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=145834
So, Jetranger, I've brought my last comments and questions over to this thread. I have done as instructed and removed all of the channels to which we do not subscribe. Now the channels do not appear in either the channel list (in the "menu" channel list, not the "settings" channel list, where they can be un-hidden) or the traditional-guide. Fantastic!

Yes, it would be very nice if there were a one-button-push guide-option available to "view only channels subscribed to". I spent probably close to an hour "hiding" all of the channels to which we do not subscribe. But it's done now and, hopefully, won't have to be done again. BTW, does this procedure have to be done on our other portal as well, or do the settings on this portal somehow get transferred to the other portal? (You know what I want to hear.) Also, if the portals lose power, does this procedure have to be done yet again? (Again, you know what I want to hear.)

While we're already pretty OT, is there any way to get rid of the small preview window, or whatever you call it, when using the guides?

If I can now get a proper handle on how to do recording (which I have not yet attempted at all), I'm going to be a very happy camper. I can see where I might become tempted to install an external storage device. That is a very nice option and one of the reasons we chose the Gateway system (and there's still adequate room on that shelf, too ).

#405 ·
It has to be revisited every time Shaw shuffles channels around. Free preview channels have to be un-hidden if you care to.
I was just going to mention the same things. Glad I refreshed.

I would like to add, (complain) it's a bit annoying having to micro manage like that. I wish, at least for the free previews, they'd remove them when it's over. If you can add them ,you can remove them to!!

#406 ·
@Tony1M

Hi there, I have been following your posts with regards to your recent installation. I just wanted you to know that I am local for you so if you have any questions at all you can also send send me a message and I'd be happy to help out.

@ ALL

Brief update on Installation fee's.
Right now all professional installation fee's when adding a new core service (TV/Internet/Phone) are complimentary /free. This is for the foreseeable future but could change again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.