Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012

73K views 285 replies 79 participants last post by  duleylake 
#1 ·
Starting June 6, the software on all Shaw Direct 6XX receivers (HDDSR 600, HDDSR 605, and HDPVR 630) will be updated from Current Version 06.22 to 07.33.

When will I receive the update?
The upgrade will be deployed gradually starting June 6. When you see a “Target Version” on line I of System Status (OPTIONS 4-7), your receiver will be upgraded automatically around 2:10AM local time. The upgrade will occur regardless of whether the receiver is left on or off and should take less than an hour to complete. If you like, you can start the download manually by selecting "Start Download" in OPTIONS 4-7.

If your receiver has not been targeted, it is not possible to force the update. All units will be targeted and upgraded over the coming weeks.

Will all my recordings and settings migrate to the new version?
Yes, as long as you are coming from 06.22.

What's new in this version?
The overall look/feel of the system is unchanged with this version. 07.33 contains a variety of minor updates and enhancements, along with enabling set-top Video On Demand, delivered via your high-speed internet connection. Many of the enhancements have been suggested by our customers and staff!

Other highlights include:
  • Recurring Auto-tunes - Manual Timer functionality now includes the ability to set a recurring (repeating) auto-tune timer. Channel, duration, and frequency can all be adjusted to automatically tune to your favourite program. Access via MENU --> Reminders --> Auto-tune (HDDSR) or MENU --> PVR --> Manual Timer (HDPVR).
  • Note: The entire duration is considered when setting manual auto-tunes and will create conflicts. Priority can be adjusted accordingly depending on your preferences.​
  • Faster Guide, Search, and PVR List Performance - Optimizations have been made and Guide and PVR List should now be noticeably faster to load and navigate.
  • Info Screen Enhancements - Long episode titles will now wrap to the next line; premiere/finale information is displayed on the "More Info" tab; and the HDTV icon has been shortened to HD.
  • HDPVR 630 Enhancements, including - Programs older than 30 days now list the month instead of the day in the PVR List; an hourglass icon now appears in the Guide when scheduling one-time recordings via the REC button; more consistent trickplay performance during recording playback.
  • Guide Loading/Guide Backup Changes - HDDSR units now maintain a 24-hour mini-backup of the Guide. Full data will still reload in <30 minutes following a reset or flush. HDPVR units will no longer display the "Loading" message when the Guide is being backed up.
  • Caller ID - Changes have been made to Caller ID which should yield more consistent performance in "marginal" locations with weak ring voltage or lots of noise on the line.

More details will be provided on Shaw Direct On Demand in the coming days!

See less See more
#102 ·
I *will* say that the 630 guide is way less sluggish to go through than it was prior to this update. That bothered me a bit, particularly with the 530 guide being so speedy by comparison, so I'm glad for that fix.

I'm afraid to try the VOD, because the first time I did, the 630 did a spontaneous reboot. It doesn't mean enough to me to give the 630 yet *another* reason to be the diva-receiva it loves to be. We're only on Digital Indulgence Lite anyway, so we don't have any premium programming to access via VOD.

#101 ·
VOD Now Working

Thanks SD 630 Support - I sent a request off to Ask Jim and they got back to me and indicated my account was good to go. They also said that I should unplug my receiver and do a reconnect which I did. After that the titles started to appear after I select a program and it does now play.

#111 ·
Argh, me too! Rarely had an issue with pixelation but a recording of Conan yesterday was super pixelated. Also, ever since 7.33, when I start watching a recording, it auto-skips ahead 30 seconds, and I have to back it up manually to start from the beginning. Not a huge deal, but weird.

#112 ·
Wireless 101

Our results during testing were really mixed - it's one of the reasons we're not officially supporting wireless at this time. Frequent dropped connections (especially after longer idle periods), difficulty in initial pairing, and overall slower performance were observed. In an "ideal" environment, there may not be much of a difference from a hardwired connection, but very few environments are actually ideal!

The other big reason we're not supporting wireless right now is the cost. A proper Wireless N media bridge ranges from ~$70-$120.

If you're not able to run a direct line between the router and your satellite receiver, we're recommending the Powerline Bridge route. It's plug-and-play, reliable, performs well with VOD, and runs about $80 per pair of units (connects 1 device). Details on how to set these up are on our website, and you can pick them up from a variety of national retailers. We're also offering them for sale direct to our customers through the Call Centre right now, with a coupon for 8 free VOD purchases.

#113 ·
Can a new wireless router then be plugged into the Powerline Bridge, the SD receiver will then plug into the new router?

I want to plug in other components at the TV and expand my wireless network as well.

(the new wireless router will have DHCP disabled and will have the same SSID and Key as the existing wireless router)

Thanks.

#114 ·
I see the series name however when I select the series the episode window is blank
Forget the previous post on this. After spending a total of almost 7 hours (mostly on hold) over 4 days and losing the phone connection twice, I finally reached a CSR/tech that fixed the problem. It turned out to be the Ontario Value Package. I assume it also applies to other value packs and discontinued packages.

VOD will not work with OVP because it is no longer supported by Shaw. There are a couple of lesser known "value packages" that will work. They are called Digital Indulgence and Digital Indulgence Light. DIL is about the same as OVP but costs $1 less. DI is a few dollars more. I went for DIL and cancelled a couple of Pick and Pay channels for a savings of about $6 + taxes.

#120 ·
VOD Access 101

Correct - but not because the icon is present. The VOD icon is part of the receiver software and will always appear as long as you're running 07.33 software.

For regular residential customers, there are no limitations on access to the Shaw Direct On Demand (VOD) service based on programming package.

As discussed earlier, there are a couple of side cases where we may be missing the code to enable VOD access, or your account may need to be refreshed to get everything working properly.

Now, once you're in and all the menus are loading properly, access to the "free" TV shows are tied to you subscribing to the regular broadcast service. Naturally, all the Global, CityTV, etc. type shows should be included for everyone. Chances are you're probably subscribed to Treehouse, YTV, Food Network, HGTV, etc. so would have all that content as well. If you want to watch Season 1 of Magic City, that's a Super Channel show so it's going to appear in Grey unless you're subscribed to Super Channel.

There's another edge case where you may be subscribed to Movie Central, but under an "old" programming code in our billing system. This just needs to be moved to the current code in order to access Movie Central. (Same for Online VOD, so if you haven't had any issues accessing Movie Central online, you're not going to have this issue).

Does this help clarify?

#122 ·
To SD 630 Support...

ScaryBob mentioned he had to switch out of the Ontario Value Pack in order to view VOD. Did he really have to do that? I'm an OVP and don't want to switch but would like to access VOD once I get the reciever hooked up to my router.

#125 ·
I only know what I've been told by CSRs after calling. I may not have needed to change plans but that was what worked after several days of wasted calls and disconnects. (It sounded like a fault in the phone system, not a human hangup.) Some SD CSRs are not at all familiar with VOD or how it works. One had me remove the RG6s and "rub the little wires." Good luck with that fixing VOD over internet. She didn't even have me check the network or server status. Wasted call.

It sounds like Shaw has no debugging scripts for VOD and CSRs have received little or no training. In addition, the real techs are now shielded from the public so trying to get a knowledgeable response is futile. It may have been that changing packages had a side effect that enabled VOD. If so I would like to know since switching to Digital Indulgence just put my monthly rate up by $5+. I tried Lite but is lacks our favourite channel.

I hate Shaw.

#130 ·
My receiver updated a couple of days ago. Here are my observations so far.

General Usage
I haven't noticed any weird issues with recordings or other functionality yet.

VOD
I tried the VOD tonight. My download speed (Shaw 50meg) came in at 41 high 7.296 low and 30 avg after several tests.

I forced a reboot somehow on my first attempt. PQ is watchable and really isn't bad considering its streaming, but could be better maybe some kind of low/med/high setting for PQ like netflix for those with lower/higher bandwidth caps. The HD PQ and SD PQ seemed about the same. I sub to Movie Central but its Greyed. The show navigation/searching is similar to regular operations for the receiver. The search could be better, that goes for both guide search and vod search.

Overall - I think that SD has a nice start on the VOD feature and hopefully it will continue to improve.

I'm glad to see the DSR-6x series getting some of the features that its capable of

Now that we have Ethernet enabled how about some additional Network features. Like DNLA media from other sources on the network (incl USB). Control record lists from our computers and smart phones

Next hopefully we get usb/esata storage enabled.

#131 ·
Ongoing timers

Hi just to let everyone know the new timers are working great for us, we really like not having to set them by hand every two weeks to record the same time week after week. But we just noticed one thing yesterday that might scare people a bit but its okay.

We have a Thursday timer and last night it said the next time was "N/A". We thought it had stopped working and we'd have to do it ourselves again for next Thursday. But now today it says next Thursday's date at the right time. So maybe on the day it goes it clears the timer and then overnight the system looks for ongoing timers again and puts them back? So anyway if you see that it seems to have stopped working maybe check the next day before you panic. :D

BTW were still getting double channels on some stations like HBO on both 231 and 254 but now the timers only show one channel so thats less confusing than it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.