Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

MTS launched 500 gb whole home pvr

16K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Mozza 
#1 ·
if you are a new customer you can get it installed for $50.00 or current customers a charge of $70.00

#2 ·
I heard they were going to add it into the monthly fee. Interesting. These new set tops are black, in case anyone was wondering. And the main box and secondary boxes are now the same size, whereas the existing pvr is larger.

#3 ·
Includes a 160GB hard drive , or upgrade to our 500GB PVR hard drive for only $50 more!*

*500GB PVR upgrade charge is a one-time fee that will be charged on your MTS bill. The $70 installation fee is waived as part of your initial Ultimate TV service installation appointment. If you choose to upgrade your PVR at a later date, a $70 fee will apply.
It sounds like current customers will have to pay $50 for the upgrade and $70 extra for the installation - total $120.

#5 ·
Glad to see that MTS made the self-install option available.

I did some reading on the AT&T support forums last night and this sounds like the Motorola VIP 2250.

Dimensions: 10.0” W. x 8.0” D., x 2.2” H.

The VIP12xx series uses the Sigma Designs 8634 CPU, the VIP22xx series reportedly uses the Broadcom 7405C which is supposed to be faster.

I've seen reports that the VIP2250 runs hotter than the VIP1216, so be sure you have adequate ventilation.

Apparently the VIP2250 resolves an audio dropout problem that some users were having with an HDMI connections to an AVR (particularly Onkyo).

#6 ·
got it done today, went down to the mts connect store did the exchange everything is all good. just to note you dont pay $50 bucks in person it is applied to your mts bill. so far working good !

#10 ·
Do Motorola boxes not record material on the HDD as efficiently as the Cisco boxes? Considering Telus recently introduced 500GB to its DVR's, mine is 320GB and holds HD 125/SD 309 hours. An extra HD 4 hours to 180GB increase doesnt seem right.

#15 ·
I've just noticed that the zoom feature on the new PVR doesn't seem to work properly. Zoom 1/2 don't zoom to the centre of the screen but rather seem to leave the top where it is and everything zooms down and out so you loose a lot on the bottom.

Fortunately stretch still works, but zoom 2 was great for some SD channels that showed 16:9 content (e.g. Holmes on Holmes on HGTV).

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
New PVR?

WINNIPEG, MB, April 20, 2012 - As a local leader in environmental stewardship and technological innovation, MTS is pleased to announce its latest generation of MTS Ultimate TV PVR set-top boxes have earned an Energy Star rating - a designation that recognizes products as the most energy-efficient in their categories. MTS has a long-standing commitment to environmental sustainability and this ranking strengthens the impressive lineup of innovative features that contribute to the success of MTS Ultimate TV service.

What model would this be?

#21 · (Edited)
I can only speculate that if they just rolled out the 2262 to all new customers, that old customers would be coming in droves with their old boxes to get the new ones. Since they only rent their equipment, I assume this isn't good business sense? Who would want a ton of old boxes, with nothing wrong with them, piling up?

I can understand people aren't happy about the fee. But in the grand scheme of things (ie.having to BUY the boxes with the competition) is $50 really that bad?

I'm not taking sides, this is my personal opinion. I have more important things to spend my money on :)

Edit: Vader, I think they charge more that $50 if a customer wants a tech to come out and switch them, rather than going to a connect store and swapping.

#22 ·
Edit: Vader, I think they charge more that $50 if a customer wants a tech to come out and switch them, rather than going to a connect store and swapping.
When I upgraded mine, I thought I could avoid the fee by doing the swap at my nearest Connect store. It worked for about a day, and then didn't. When I called Tech Support, they said the Connect Store shouldn't have given me the new unit, but should have sent out a tech.

They changed something at their end, and it worked. Then they charged me $50.

Dave S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.