Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Converting VHS to DVD

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BGY11 
#1 ·
Just curious what you guys would recommend for converting VHS tapes onto DVD media (and maybe adding things like custom titles and such). I have about 6-7 tapes to encode. I'd need a decent capture card and software (though I'm guessing something like Adobe Premiere Elements could do the job).

(mod note: I did try searching beforehand as I thought there was already a recent similar topic, but I didn't find anything - feel free to move this if needed)

#8 ·
I would recommend pretty much any PC tuner card that has video inputs. You can likely find a card like the Hauppauge PVR-150 very cheaply (<$50) as it has been discontinued. This will capture the video as an MPEG-2 file which is probably the most popular type of video file which can be used in almost any video related software and MPEG-2 doesn't have to be re-encoded to be converted to DVD format (VOB files) since they are essentially MPEG-2 files.

You can then use lots of different software to edit, add titles, still photos, background music, etc. and then author to DVD. Adobe Premiere Elements will work as will Windows Movie Maker and I believe similar software comes with Macs. You might need a separate program to do the DVD authoring but I believe you can find free programs to do that.

Personally I think you are far better off capturing to a PC rather than using a DVD recorder, but even if you do capture to a DVD recorder you could then rip the DVD file to your PC's hard drive.

And then you will have a TV tuner card that you can use for other purposes, such as using your PC as a PVR.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info.

I actually forgot I had an old WinTV PVR-USB2 box kicking around. Although it doesn't work with Windows 7, my father's computer is using XP and that's where the capturing would be done.

I appreciate the comments regarding a DVD recorder, but considering I want to edit the videos after, I think the capture card would indeed be the better solution. VHS tape is already poor quality to begin with (not to mention some of the videos are old), and I'd rather convert video as little as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.